or
Create an account

or

Thread Computer Generated Music Composition

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Computer Generated Music Composition
With today's virtual instruments, audio editing programs...there's no limit...
But what's about Composing music, how to create new song/melody/theme...? Composing music with computers is almost norm? Pro Et Contra?

Today's "composing music" is - almost - manipulation by combining and mixing with already exiting loops and patterns.
But, what's about the melody, tune...???
It's not too simple, so, why shouldn't we accept the help of IT?
Probably, you'll be surprised by the amount of software that you will find: Apple Computer's GarageBand software, Classical Music Composer, Easy Music Composer, FlexiMusic Composer, Fractal Music Composer, Jump, Magix Music Maker, Virtual Music Composer,... Yes, all these programs compose new music. And really important notice:

they doesn't require any special knowledge or/and skills of composition. Just click a couple of buttons and listen to the music, new songs. And it belongs to you!...
It wasn’t a long time ago, with the appearance of computers...
"...computers will never defeat humans in the game of chess..."
"...Robert Moog: a dangerous anarchist out to destroy music as we know it..."
There's no area of art, science... that hasn't been compared in this or any other similar way.
Now, try to imagine musicians today who had never used the computer or chess analysis without comp assistance or...

So what is my point here you ask?

A couple of days ago, I have started in this, as well as in some other popular and well visited forums, a new thread titled "Computer Generated Music Composition". The topic for general discussion was a question "Pro Et Contra" on subject: programs for virtual composing / virtual music composers.

Too often the feedback is the same as in the sentences above mentioned...or none as you can see...

So, do we have to wait again for several more years before we admit to ourselves that computers have become an inevitable and helpful tool while composing music. Whether we like it or not, it is reality.
The human touch will never be replaced, but that does not neccessarily mean that it can not be pushed and helped by IT. IT can do it also!

Probably you'll say now: He's one of them (developer, author...). Yes, I'm one of them. But, I have never mentioned any fact which would point to it. So, it is not an advertising. I'm just curious about this topic...
Well i guess it seems so normal and commonplace that nobody even thinks to debate the issue. :clin:
Having both Macs and a PC and far from enough time to pick up the guitar anyway these days, no matter how much the idea of computer generated composition appeals, I haven't given it the time that I want to.

However, that being said, I also keep thinking that, in order to figure out how I feel about composing electronically I might invest in one of those new-fangled guitars that plug into the USB port.