or
Create an account

or

Thread Setting processor scheduling to background services

• 11 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Setting processor scheduling to background services
I am fearful of making this adjustment because last year I did this and my computer totally bugged out and I had to reinstall my OS. After reinstalling my OS I decided to make the adjustment to background services again - and low and behold, I had to reinstall windows again.

I am not sure if I want to take the chance again with my laptop (diff comp) because I would have days and days of work to do if i had to reinstall windows on it.

Has anyone eve experienced this problem before?
Show first post
Well Sean,

I just talked to my nephew who happens to be a technical service rep for Dell. According to him, there are no issues setting cpu utilization to background services with your particular type of laptop. From my experience with Sonar and Cubase, and my past 2 DAWs, it wasn't an issue either, so I'm quite surprised why your desktop would go all screwy on you. My first DAW was a Pentium 233MMX with 64 megs of ram, btw. It used 98SE then ME (strangely enough, the Pentium ran happiest using ME, go figure), both optimized for background services and at that time, I used the black viper tweaks. I ran Cubase Lite and a 2nd hand copy of Cakewalk ProAudio8 on that machine quite happily.

Anyway, if you still have doubts, set up a system restore point before tweaking. What software and soundcard are you using for your laptop anyway?