Add this product to
  • Mon ancien matos
  • My current gear
  • Mon futur matos
Focusrite Scarlett Studio
Images
1/7
Focusrite Scarlett Studio

DAW Pack from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett series.

Public price: $299 incl. VAT

Thread Scarlett 2i2 Studio (1st gen) - USB Power Surge

Light mode
  • 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
Claudiul93

Claudiul93

1 post
New AFfiliate
Premier post
1 Posted on 03/19/2018 at 22:27:13
Hello,

Recently I bought an used audio interface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (1st gen) Studio Bundle.
When I try to connect it to my Windows 10 PC I have the following error:
'Power surge on the USB port' - Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.'

I have installed the drivers from the manufacturer's website and also I tried different ports and cables and even I reinstalled the USB drivers.

Do you know if I miss some setup step? Or might be something broken with the interface?

Thank you in advance!
Steve Sawyer

Steve Sawyer

3 posts
New AFfiliate
2 Posted on 04/14/2018 at 18:38:59
I can't believe that immediately upon joining this forum, I'm answering a question (or attempting to) given that I don't really know my butt from a hole in the ground (which is why I joined to ask some questions of my own), but I think I can explain your problem.

The problem is not with the interface or your setup, but exactly what the error message is saying. The 2i2 and other USB interfaces are powered through the USB port. The amount of power available via various USB ports will vary. Some will deliver power even when the power to the computer is off, but the unit is plugged in (good for using the port to run a USB charger).

I'm guessing that you've already solved your problem since your post is almost a month old, but if your PC has more than one USB port, there may be one that provides more power. Mine has 3 ports, and I have an external USB drive that will only work on two of them - the third one doesn't provide enough power to run the drive.

Hope this helps you out.
Dibash Chuke

Dibash Chuke

1 post
New AFfiliate
3 Posted on 09/12/2018 at 10:13:02
I am having the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?
angelie

angelie

350 posts
AFfluent Poster
4 Posted on 09/16/2018 at 14:03:53
Powered USB hub is the solution....

Because it has been mentioned... The power of the USB port is to low. It can't handle the device. The powered USB hub uses its own power supply ...and therefore releases the current drain from your computer USB port....

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 09/16/2018 at 14:07:05 ]

cookies

We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies

Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.

Website preferences

We store your preferences so that you do not have to re-enter them every time your come back (forums options, dark or light theme, classifieds filter, standard or buzz news, newsletters popups...).

This one makes sure you don't have to re-enter your credentials every time you visit Audiofanzine.

Analytics

This data allows us to understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :)

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies

Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.

Website preferences

We store your preferences so that you do not have to re-enter them every time your come back (forums options, dark or light theme, classifieds filter, standard or buzz news, newsletters popups...).

This one makes sure you don't have to re-enter your credentials every time you visit Audiofanzine.

Analytics

This data allows us to understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :)

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.