Boss BR-532 Digital Studio
Boss BR-532 Digital Studio

Digital Multrack-studio from Boss belonging to the BR series.

MGR/Ed "TaylorGuy" Mehollin MGR/Ed "TaylorGuy" Mehollin

« Boss BR-532 »

Published on 12/15/01 at 15:00
I bought the BR-532 from Musician's Friend to set up a home studio - albeit a fairly basic one - to record acoustic guitar and some vocals. I had purchased a Zoom PS-02 (see earlier review) that did not meet my needs. I paid $395.99 which is the same price anyone is selling the BR-532s.

I really like the Boss BR-532. It is set up just like a a traditional 4 track cassette recorder with faders for eash channel, a mix down fader and simple tape-transport like buttons for record, play, pause, fast forward and rewind. The unit is not a light weight toy - it feels substantial. It has ample inputs (guitar/bass), mic (XLR and 1/4") and other. Each input source has it's own gain/sensitivity control with a peak signal LED. It has lots of inputs and outputs including digital out. It comes with built in COSM effects and amp models that are pretty good. The LCD panel provides a lot of information regarding recording levels, modes, etc. It records onto Smartmedia cards that are really cool and comes with a 32mb card. It will handle up to 128mb. These cards mean very affordable, clean recording with instant rewind and editing capabilities. Lastly, the BR-532 will run on batteries though I don't know how long a set of AAs will last.

I thought it should have come supplied with ac AC adaptor but I had to pay an extra $20 or so for one. The manual is OK but not outstanding. I bought the video manual for $20.00 but it was a waste with such basic information that it was useless.

It is solidly built and all controls fell to be well designed and of good quality.

The Boss BR-532 is a really cool entry point into digital recording and it costs about the same as a Tascam or Fostex four track cassette maching. I would heartily recommend this unit.