Beyerdynamic Opus 89
Beyerdynamic Opus 89

Dynamic Microphone from Beyerdynamic belonging to the OPUS series.

Webfree79 Webfree79
Published on 07/02/07 at 09:07
Hypercardioid dynamic microphone, called instead for rock, pop and R'n'B.

I just invest in the micro (buy from Thomann to € 185) which comes into direct competition with the Sennheiser E945. I tested it on LIVE last weekend.

I am a drummer singer, and I bought this mic to replace my Beta 54 (micro electrect headband), which has just fallen down and that I must return Shure :-(

I did a performance with the Shure SM58 (since my beta 54 is out), but I preferred to invest in a good squarely micro hand, as I sometimes do solo with benefits soundtracks.

The advantage Thomann (in addition to attractive price) is that we are 30 days money back guarantee and 3 years, so I took the test, and I can tell you that I will not return to Germany, but I keep it with me! !

The design is quite successful, it is really pretty, with a metal grille blue ring: beautiful. It is rather heavy in hand, heavier than the TGX60et TGX80 home Beyer.

This microphone is perfect for me, I'm in a band ball, and I sing all (mostly rock and pop all the same), I am a tenor, and I have a range of three octaves.
Compared to the Shure SM58 is the day and night, shure seems bland and neutral in this micro color, lots of gain, a good seed, and especially a potato! ! ! It really takes all its dimension when one "face" it: awesome! When I tried to keep the settings we had the shure SM58, what a slap when I started to say "one two, testing micro ".... without touching the EQ curve, I had much more grain and color, and too gain it took down a big hit!

I find it a bit more color and detail that the TGX80 (which is already an excellent micro). He has a good presence in the treble and bass, Shure SM58 is the next medium, and my beta 54 lack a bit of serious proportion.

I find it nothing to envy to the Shure Beta 87 (microphone electrect high end), it is almost as clear and precise and that it has more gain, and above all it costs almost half the price!

It is a hypercardioid microphone so little about the feedback, but I have not tested since we are in-ear monitor.

A € 185, the price / quality ratio is well respected, and this is in the same segment as the Sennheiser E945 with which I hesitate in my choice.

I could not compare the E945 with its competitor, but I do it again the selection of Beyer Opus 89 and I unhesitatingly recommend it highly! !

PS: the orchestra is the fourth Beyerdynamic (2 80 TGX, TGX 1 60, and of course Opus 89)

EDIT May 2009:
Still happy with this microphone, it is always as accurate and tough, I sold it recently to a friend who was torn between the Shure Beta 87 and opus, and after testing two microphones, he preferred the album because not require phantom power. I replaced with a Sennheiser EW 165 G3 capsule with e 865 (electret) and it is a mistake! The Sennheiser is a great microphone, but for me as I am drummer / singer and is so sensitive that transplanted me back my battery and loops in his returns. In contrast to pure song (without my being to the battery) there is nothing wrong with the excellent microphone and recording all the more so versatile. I regret in the sense that the album took up little or no battery and suddenly was cleaner.