Yamaha BB604
Yamaha BB604

4-string bass guitar from Yamaha belonging to the BB series.

ssbass ssbass

« Still going strong in 2020 »

Publié le 07/31/20 à 09:50
Value For Money : Correct
Audience: Anyone
I bought my 2002 Yamaha BB604 used in 2008 for around $400US. I had it professionally setup and it's been perfect ever since. Action is still low and even, no fret buzz anywhere, electronics all working well. Fret finish and fingerboard are great.

Only repair was to replace the output jack (it was worn out from a lot of use) a couple of years ago. Only change I ever made to the setup was to re-intonate the G string when I recently switched from roundwounds to flatwounds. I will eventually switch back to roundwounds because this bass is really good for slapping and roundwounds work a bit better. But I have enjoyed the thump of the flatwounds.

The bass is a bit heavy (it has an alder body) but it's well-balanced on the strap. The battery lasts a long time. I play at least 1 hour per day and I can get 6 months out of one battery (and that includes leaving it plugged in accidentally overnight a couple of times).

I don't know what these cost today but if you are considering one and the neck looks good and the electronics all work then you should have no reservations. I doubt you'd be able to find a better bass anywhere near the cost of one of these.