or
Create an account

or

Thread EAX problem

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 EAX problem
I have a problem that it seem very hard to find an answer to. I am using a simple keyboard named Creative prodikeys. In the program for this device it is possible to choose two MIDI output devices, either Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, or Creative Soundfont Synth. The space-effects of EAX greatly improves the sound. But the problem is that it only works if I set the Microsoft synth as the output device. This seems diificult to accept, since the Creative synth is the one that came in the same package as the EAX Console (when I installed SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit as my soundcard). So the conclusion would be that Creative ships a MIDI output device and an EAX console with their soundcard, that cannot be made to work together! I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on this, I already tried Creatives own forum, but it seems impossible to get anyone interested there (not to speak of reaching Creative Support, which seems to be a metaphysical matter). :lol:
Bernt,

I've been trying to remember my eax mixer settings (I retired my Live! ages ago) but I seem to recall that you could set the source for the EAX effects to the soundfont synth. You could choose the source between line-in, mic and synth as I recall.

Best,

Quote: Bernt,

I've been trying to remember my eax mixer settings (I retired my Live! ages ago) but I seem to recall that you could set the source for the EAX effects to the soundfont synth. You could choose the source between line-in, mic and synth as I recall.

Best,

Thank you,

I found the mixer, but it is rather strange. According to the picture in the instructions there is a possible choice of synth (MIDI synth) as you say. But under the picture they warn you that "Some options are available only with selected Creative audio devices.". In fact, in my mixer there is nothing called MIDI synth, but there instead there is an option of choosing simply "MIDI". Here you can use "advanced controls" in order to select MIDI chorus or MIDI reverb (or both). Any idea of what this means?
That's a way of controlling the reverb and chorus amount using midi continuous controllers (cc#). Usually it's cc#91 for reverb and cc#93 for chorus. I remember being able to set the reverb but the early drivers could not control chorus somehow. I assume they should have addressed that shortcoming by now.

As for the "not working with selected creative devices", I think it was the vibra series they were refering to and maybe even the pci awe64 series.

I'm looking at Creative's site right now and the best I can tell you is to look at the EAX Control Panel in AudioHQ, and play around with the various sliders in the source tab. If you need more info check out his site: http://atlas.csbnet.se/livecenter/showpage.php?id=43&page=7

Remember, google can be your best friend.

Best,