MOTU 828 mk3 Firewire
MOTU 828 mk3 Firewire

FireWire audio interface from MOTU belonging to the 828 series.

Rj_4000 Rj_4000
Publié le 08/14/10 à 01:57
Selection criteria:
The FireWire interface
The number and variety of inputs / outputs
The presence of internal effects
The possibility of running 'stand alone'
Sound quality
1U

Connections:
Connected to record / mixdown on a DM1000 16-Channel ADAT Card + SPDIF IN / OUT, that's 18 I / Os digital 24-bit!

Usage:
Standalone recording settings (eg for video recording: just a pair of condenser microphones, the Motu and the PC. To show: same + connection table governed by SPDIF)
Concert Recording / Mixdown + mutlipistes repeated in ADAT
By independently at home, to adjust the stereo sound from the PC in 4 different rooms (with different EQ and Mix) independently

Driver: rather stable
Too bad there is not one for Linux: With Reaper, it would still be the ideaal (stability and "visibility" on the details of the config ... Did I mention that my job is computer "systems"?)

Software: latest version of Reaper, Wavelab 5, Nuendo 3, ...

Live recording: I never needed more than 16 entries at the same time so far ...

I have problems of "clicks" (mild - nothing that prevents them from working seriously) with my PC but I use the laptop's internal Firewire port and, well, it is not terrible.
In addition, this PC I used for everything: Photoshop, work, Visual Studio, VMWare Workstation, etc.. Still a bit much! (XP SP3)

For comparison:
on the same computer, I tried to install the driver "Dante" Audinate VOD and communicate with the DM1000 with MY16-AUD. Ben there, it simply does not work at all!
With KRK Ergo (also firewire), I have masta drop outs!

Conclusion: the PC is at stake!
I had to completely reinstall Dante. Not yet had time to experiment with the Motu. (And if I had not done before is that it really does not bother me a lot with the Motu.)
Rule: To make her seriously, we need a dedicated PC!

So overall, we can say that the Motu is doing VERY well on this point. Much better than the others I tried.

Update: well if it works, why upgrade?
The latency is very important to me ...

GETTING STARTED

Installation: Ben is a PC software, so often it does not work the first time. But nothing unusual: it works.

Clarity: the CueMix FX, although powerful, is not very easy to grasp at first. AND I still do not understand how one uses the "returns" (well, I have not tried either).

The most disconcerting is that it is not possible to send CueMix channels from the PC. Only directly to the exits.
But it does not matter: with a cable out = ADAT ADAT In, I can mix the signals from the PC multitrack CueMix in recovering the signal to the ADAT ins ...

I use it regularly since qq months.

I just used other models, but if I compare, for example, sound with KRK Ergo, I have on hand, I prefer convertos the Motu. By far. I find the sound really good.

With the purchase, I hesitated with the other models Firewire Motu.

A remake, I would rather 896mKIII because my needs had changed since the purchase: I would appreciate the 6 additional MIC and I / Os AES ...
(When I bought the 828, I had not considered buying the DM1000 ...)

Otherwise, I think it is quite the price.

In use: a "flat": I / O ADAT come with a small flap to close when there is no cable. That is, a priori, a great idea! It prevents dust from settling and degrade the sound ADAT in time ... (Corks, I lose ... and do not leave it!).
BUT ... without ever having assaulted the craft, one component broke.
Result: This port is almost unusable (I can use in quibbling 1 / 2 hour to put the wire correctly, but it's really c. ...).
I mentioned this on other forums, and it happened to others with other brands containing the same component. Too bad!

Also: Please do not put the connector Firwire backwards. It is possible and everything is broken in this case. Not been the case and there is a big WARNING in the box and on the device.