or

Thread S/pdif Synchronization Scarlett 6i6 [2ndgen] - Axe Fx II

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 S/pdif Synchronization Scarlett 6i6 [2ndgen] - Axe Fx II
Hi,
I'm having some problems here.

I'm trying to setup a spdif connection between my recently purchased Scarlett 6i6 (second generation) and a Fractal Axe Fx II.
My OS is Windows 10 x64.

So far I've been able to synchronize them with the former as slave and the latter as master selecting S/pdif as clock source on the Focusrite Control app.
Doing so I get audio from the Axe to the Scarlett. Great!

Problems start when I try to create a reamping setup connecting the 6i6 spdif out to the Fractal spdif in:
I can't get the Axe Fx to get clock synchronization.

I've followed the manual and in the Axe Fx end I should have done everything correctly (word clock:spdif, input: spdif) and theoretically everything's right on the 6i6 end also(clok: Internal, Spdif output on focusrite control is receiving my DAW signal).
But no matter what it seems that the Axe is not receiving the embedded clock signal (it shows "no input clock").

Since I'm getting some other minor problems with the 6i6 (for ex:
windows system sounds crackle at the beginning and ending of the used audio sample like they are slightly chopped off.
The weird thing is that if I open an audio player (just open, even if it's not playing anything) that problem disappear. No more chopped crackling windows system sounds.)
could this be a driver/firmware issue?
Anyone else is having problems synchronizing other devices through S/pdif connection?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,
I'm not a native speaker.
Good morning,

Apologies that you're having some problems, this isn't something we've heard of before.
Having a quick look at the Axe FX manual, it seems that the sample rate is hard set to 48kHz, i'm sure that you already have, but please can you ensure that the samplerate set in your DAW (and so therefore FOcusrite Control too) is set to 48kHz.
When sending audio/clock the other way, i.e. from the Scarlett to the Axe FX, please note that the clocking has to be reversed unless you still have another SPDIF cable connected to the SPDIF input of the Scarlett from the output of the Axe FX (i.e. clocking can be set either way if two cables are used, it doesn't matter which way you intend to send audio). If the Scarlett is set to internal, then the Axe FX must be set to clock over SPDIF, from looking at the manual, I think it's suggested that this is auto-set if using the digital in of the Axe FX, however it will be worth testing this by manually changing the clock source of the Axe FX to AES/SPDIF.
As mentioned above though, if you have two SPDIF cables, use them both to connect the inputs and outputs on both the Scarlett and Axe, clock the way that you know works, then test audio sending both ways.

I hope the above helps, please let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

[ Post last edited on 08/15/2016 at 02:43:56 ]