or
Create an account

or

Thread 18i8 no sound fr rear inputs

• 19 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 18i8 no sound fr rear inputs
the mix control meters are moving but I can't hear anything...am I missing something? thanks.
Show first post
You can upload it to tinypic.com
They provide you a link after upload which you can post here on the board.

Edit:

I just noticed they also provide links for boards like this.
Choose / copy the url which says:  img] AND past it here

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 01/24/2015 at 13:41:03 ]

Thank you for your kind help Angelie: http://tinypic.com/r/24ybvyg/8
No problem...

Ok here we go :
When using daw the routing of the daw is used. So if you for example route your mic track to output 1 it goes directly to output one and does not use the softmixer.

In your case you plugged your mic in channel 1. ThIs channel is been setup as mix in the softmix. Now i noticed you selected this mix to your main output so you can hear it right?

What is happening :

Your mic signal goes in to the softmix is been routed to your speakers.
The speakers generate a copy of your voice.
Sound moves fast.
So your mic is not only picking up your voice but also the sound of your speakers.
This process keeps repeating until you hear a high pitched tone. ( acoustic feedback)

Now it is time to mention that when recording you don't need the softmixer. This is mixer is usefull for stand- alone mode or special tricks.

How to prevent:

If recording just set the mix to your headphones and disconnect your softmix from your main speakers.

Setting:

Output1/2 --> daw { you can hear your daw stereo mix over your speakers.}

Headphones -> mix1 { like you have now }

Your daw records your input always if set right. Listen to your self over headphones.

If you like to sing or play with your daw:

Make a daw mix beside your vox Track.
Then you hear your daw and tour voice over headphones and daw only over your main speakers.

Perheaps it is to much information or maybe i did not explain well. Just ask. Then i will post images with it.

I know the softmixer / daw combination is a bit tricky at first.

- Angelie

[ Post last edited on 01/24/2015 at 23:51:55 ]

Angelie - thanks again...I'm not getting it. If you have pix, that wd be a big help. Re feedback, my speakers are muted - I'm only using headphones. I set the routing preset to daw, but no change.
Don't worry.
I will try to make some images today.

One question:
what kind of daw do you use and one which type of computer?

- Angelie

I use cakewalk Sonar & Win 7 on a dell laptop. I also notice the mic comes through on the DAW but not the guitar on inputs 5&6.
A quick way to test if the 'slap-back' echo issue is simply your routing, is to change the routing preset in Mix Control from Ultra Low Latency (how you have it now), to DAW Tracking. In this mode, you will need to ensure that you have input monitoring engaged on your DAW channel.
Essentially, if using the Ultra Low Latency mode within Mix Control, you will want to turn your DAW Input Monitoring for that channel off, otherwise you're hearing two input signals, one of which is effected by latency, which creates a slight delay, and so the slapback type effect.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
I noticed some thing else.

You said your gitar does not show up on the channels.
If you like to plugin a gitar directly you will need ports 1 and 2 on the frontpanel.
They have an instrument function.

I have no idea how you connected your gitar but if you use extra effects which output line signal they should be visible on the other inputs.
Perhaps also a routing mistake

- Angelie

[ Post last edited on 01/30/2015 at 23:59:36 ]

Thank you all for advice. I seem to have a resolution by downloading the latest beta mix control & the echo has disappeared. i have no idea why.
Weird but i'm glad it is working now...
Enjoy recording.

- Angelie