or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i20 Digital Input

• 7 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Scarlett 18i20 Digital Input
Is there some way that I can do optical out from my pc to the optical in on the Scarlett? I'm get nothing on all 8 channels. I realize this is usually for adding microphone or line inputs, and I don't mean for this to be a dumb question. I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!
Jesse
I doubt this will work. The pc normally can only assign one audio device at the time.
It has something to do with the driver.

If you manage to assign more equipment you have to remember that the pc digital out is normally stereo so you have 2 channels only.

And oh you people may correct me when i'm wrong about this :-)

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Thanks for your input Angelie. Appreciated as always.
Hi guys,

Yes, thank you Anglie as always.
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you're outputting digital from your PC, is it a PCIe card or similar?
Exactly what are you looking to achieve? What are you looking to send out to the Scarlett and for what purpose?

Thanks
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
My original thought was that at times I have two computers running, and I simply wanted to use my 18i20 as a way of hooking that second computer into my studio setup.

I am definitely just trying to output for the integrated sound on my motherboard.

Thanks you guys!

Jesse
I think if you like to add your second computer as audio device in you studio setup by pretending it is some kind of say cd player it should work.
The optical port on you focusrite is adat ( 8 inputs) compatible.
An downgrade into an 2 inputs port should be posible.

You can test this by Connecting an cd player to your focusrite via the optical port using a toslink cable. If this works and you connect the motherboards optical port it should work. If you hear nothing check if your optical output is active / selected.

Perhaps there is a clock isue and your focusrite can't find it or can't communicate / read it.

- Angelie

Please bear in mind that many devices that have digital out via TOSLINK is still only SPDIF over optical, not ADAT, please check the manual of said device.
Unfortunately, the 18i20 is not compatible with SPDIF over Optical, it will only work with ADAT over optical (toslink) or SPDIF over coaxial.
If of interest, the Saffire series can utilise SPDIF over Optical as a setting in Mix Control.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Toslink only support adat and not stereo..
So it isn't recognize a stereo feed?

Oh my i think i just learned something too here.

Thank you Simon