or
Create an account

or

Thread Crackling with 18i20

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Crackling with 18i20
Hello, just got my beautiful Scarlett 18i20 and installed on my OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 with 4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor.

But for my disappointment i got cracks and pops with all tipes of playbacks, from Pro Tools to Youtube.

I saw that if i changed the sample rate to lower values the pops became less and less frequent. But were still there...

I did this: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/why-will-my-scarlett-18i20-not-play-or-record-audio-at-96khz-on-a-mac

But it still cracks and pops and clicks.

Anyone?
Good morning,

Sorry that you're having some issues, we're not aware of any issues with using 18i20s on Yosemite.
You seem to have found our article on 18i2096k & OSX, however presumably you're having the same issue across all sample rates?

Please can you download and install the latest beta version of Mix Control 1.9b10 from the below link and advise if you're still experiencing the issue:
http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1192

Please can you also try disabling your Bluetooth and Airplay features to see if this makes a difference.

Let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Yeah, the same issue across all sample rates. Only the higher the sample rate, the more frequent the crackles appear.

Installed the latest beta version, still crackles. Bluetooth and Airplay are alredy disabled...

:((
Hi,

That's quite unusual.
The 18i20 is effectively a plug and play device on Mac and we're not aware of any issues with Scarlett and Yosemite.

Try also deleting the following:
Mac HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> Delete FocusriteUSB2Audio.kext, FocusriteUSBAudio.kext & NovationUSBAudio.kext if they are present.

Once done, please navigate to:

Finder -> Go Menu (top of screen) -> hold 'ALT' on keyboard -> select newly appeared 'Library' option -> Preferences -> delete com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist

Once done, navigate to:

Mac HD -> Library -> Preferences -> Audio -> delete both files.
Empty the trash and then restart your computer

Do you get the same issues when using the 18i20 across all the USB ports on your Mac? Try unplugging any other non-essential USB devices to see if this helps across each USB port.
Are you using the original USB cable? If so, try using a different USB cable that it under 1.5meters.

It would also be helpful to see if the same issue occurs if the unit is used with another computer.

Let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

[ Post last edited on 09/22/2015 at 06:41:19 ]

I solved my issue with my 18i8 by getting the USB2-interface-card. Windows 10, 4 gen Intel i7 cpu.
This one:
https://www.startech.com/se/en/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/Card/4-Port-PCI-Express-Low-Profile-High-Speed-USB-Card~PEXUSB4DP

I saw around internet the some people solved their issue with too modern moderboards by getting the big brother of that card with 7 USB2 ports. And this little cheap card solved my crackling problem.