or
Create an account

or

Thread Create a Minus Mix?

• 5 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Create a Minus Mix?
Hi, I have a focusrite scarlett 18i8. I was wondering if it was possible to set up a minus mix, so that I can talk in to the microphone and have someone on gchat video or skype, hear me (via the microphone) and the gchat/skype audio be recorded as well.

Or would this be accomplished with the recording program I am using (Reaper)?

Thank you.
Can you be more specific as to which element you want muted in the minus mix? Typically, such a mix would be used so that the person calling in wouldn't hear their own voice coming back delayed while they're speaking. In your case, though, the person on Skype or gchat will hear the audio coming back from either of those services, which will include both ends of the conversation, and shouldn't be delayed enough to cause a problem. What are you trying to accomplish with the minus mix?
Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying!

I would like the person on skype to hear everyone talking in to microphones, while the person on skype voice also being recorded (hooked up to the focusrite,) without feedback and hearing themselves.

I haven't tried it through the focusrite, but had to set up a minus mix when using a traditional analog mixer, so I just "assumed" it had to be a similar set up.
I think it is not possible without some extra steps and the danger of feedbacks.

The audio of the other end is send over the outputs. Outputs on the scarlett range can't be recorded in a DAW like reaper,mixbus,protools etc.

There is a way but the output has to be routed back to an input which only and realy only picked up by the daw.

The DAW monitoring has to be set to Off!
Or else a major feedback loop rises from the silents.

The only way to hear the other end is over headphones.

If recording you wil add your voice to track 1 and the other end to track 2

While playing back the audio is over headphones or unplug the cable from your output ports.

I hope it is clear what i mean. By this type of setup paying attention of what you do is required and there for not recommend by starting engineers.....

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 12/11/2015 at 12:56:05 ]

Hi Tommy,

Sorry that I missed this thread and didn't respond sooner.

To do what you are attempting, you will also need (2) 1/4" TRS cables as well to connect the 18i8's Outputs 1&2 to Inputs 3&4 so that you can record the Mix in Reaper.

First you will create a Mix in MixControl that has Analog Inputs 1&2 in it but NOT Analog Inputs 3&4.

Since DAW 1 and DAW2 are by default in the mix you will have the output of Skype in your mix as well.

The microphones will connect via XLR to Inputs 1&2 of the 18i8.

You will then send that created Mix to Outputs 1-6 of the 18i8 by selecting Mix#(L) and Mix#(R) in the output section of MixControl.

Since you are connecting the TRS cables from Output 1&2 to Inputs 3&4, you will go into Reaper and create a stereo audio track with the input set to 3&4.

Since you are using the Monitor Outputs, you will have to monitor audio using the headphone outputs.

You will not need to listen to the audio track in Reaper since you have that taken care of in MixControl, so I would recommend muting the audio track in Reaper to avoid hearing a "doubling effect".

I hope this helps!

Please let us know how you come along.

David // Focusrite Technical Support
Quote from David_Focusrite:
...First you will create a Mix in MixControl that has Analog Inputs 1&2 in it but NOT Analog Inputs 3&4.
You will then send that created Mix to Outputs 1-6 of the 18i8 by selecting Mix#(L) and Mix#(R) in the output section of MixControl.

Hi David, I'm brand new to the Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen and am trying to use it to create a mix minus and record 3 separate tracks - two microphones and a Skype guest - into Adobe Audition on a Mac running OSX 10.13.4. Would you be so kind as to update your instructions accordingly for Focusrite Control? This post - https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115000794545-How-to-create-a-Skype-Mix-for-Scarlett-2nd-Gen-or-Clarett-Red references line outputs 3-4, which the 18i8 doesn't have.

With only 2 monitor outputs and 2 headphone outputs on the 18i8, what should the setup be? (I also need to send to 3 sets of headphones, so I guess I'll need to take one of the headphone outs to my headphone amp?) Thank you!

[ Post last edited on 04/06/2018 at 10:52:44 ]