or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i6 Crackling noises on all 24bit beta drivers!

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Scarlett 18i6 Crackling noises on all 24bit beta drivers!
Hello,
It seems the problem is common.
I have 18i6 with the latest firmware 608 and now I`m back to official MixControl 1.8.128.0, driver 2.5.1 API 3.0 where I don`t have this issue - crackling noises (like an old vinyl player). However, either the 24bit sound Windows support.
All the newer Software and Drivers have this issue. The problem can be listened in headphones being only one output connected. DPC Latency is ok (checked with software). The problem is not in the:
- Usb-port/usb-cable (now my front panel usb and it works ok), usb power is ok
- AC-power/bad connection adapter or electromagnetic interference
- Monitors
- Bad cables (I have new Klotz)
- Processor or any other hardware (I use Intel i5)
- Sample rate (tried all), buffer size, latency, performance mode
The problem might be in a driver, new firmware or MixControl.
I`ve tested all combinations of MixControl+ beta Drivers on two PC`s both running Win7 x64 and x86. The worst combination is MixControl 1.9b10 + USB2 Drivers 3.2.1 (or 3.2.2) to that point that in AIMP or Foobar player, trying using ASIO output I get an error “File: D: } (24 bit - 96 kHz) APEA04 Moby - Lift Me Up.ape Code: -1000 (FFFFFC18) Message: FFFFFC18:Create Buffers ------------------------- Format: 96000 Hz / 32 Bit / Stereo” and I can`t change the bit depth. Direct Sound output = crackling noises.
MixControl 1.9b4 + USB2 Drivers 3.2.1 using ASIO is playing, but crackling noises.
MixControl 1.8.128.0 + USB2 Drivers 3.2.1 is the same.

I hope, that provided information is clear and can help. Please fix it, if you can so.

[ Post last edited on 01/26/2016 at 07:01:46 ]

MixControl 1.9b12 + driver 3.2.285 api 3.0 doesn`t improve anything... :bravo:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0qMgiSNUzqP

[ Post last edited on 03/08/2016 at 08:32:38 ]

I should get back all the words.

I install Windows 10 x64 from the scratch. Install MixControl 1.9b12 and everything is PERFECT!
Thank you, Focusrite!
That's great to hear.
Please do let us know if you need anything else

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Hello,

same problem here (crackling like an old vinyl player).
Focusrite 18i20 with beta driver 1.9b12. OS Windows 10 x64 build 10586

I've testet another Audio Interface (Steinberg ur44) with their actual asio driver.
Result: No crackling, everything clear.

Deactivated WLAN, LAN, on board Realtek sound, increased asio buffer. No luck.

By installing the beta driver the 18i20 was updated with a new firmware.
My problem now: Can't go back to old 1.8 Version, because the 18i20 holds now a new Firmware which is not compatible with this Version.

Could somebody help how to get rid of this crackle noises?
I think this is a problem of the actual beta driver.
Booted now without any other stuff (msconfig) and deactivated all autostart things. But problem is not solved.
Tested also a Focusrite 6i6. Same problem here.
MI19, hello. I will try to help you.
First of all, install clear Win10x64 without without plugging in any of you devices. Then install 1.9b12 (it will install mixcontrol and the asio driver itself). Switch off the computer. Plug in your 18i20 and start the computer. It should pick previously installed driver.
Then go to the Windows Sound Pannel and choose 24bit 96kHz for your output and input devices and switch off exclusive sound mode (Do not open the Mixcontrol till that point!). Also choose an output to your audio players (foobar, aimp), music sequencers and voice communication (Skype, teamspeak). You may set asio driver 24bit 96kHz or WMD (as it will now have the same quality).
Restart your PC and once again check that in Windows Sound Pannel you have 24bit 96kHz.
Then open your MixControl and set all you routing scheme and save everything. You should see that in mixcontrol you also have 96kHz, because Windows already forced this program to switch the sample rate.
You should be good at this point. However, you may get this crackling noise and switch sound back when you will open the MixControl, even if you close it. Just restart your PC.
Hello dime1.
Thank you for the detailed information. A fresh Installation is no option for me.
I think i have another solotion. I just connected the 18i20 to a USB 3.0 port.
Result: No crackling.
I found this here
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546095-My-USB-interface-is-having-problems-functioning-on-my-computer-that-has-an-AMD-processor
I have no AMD processor (it's a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz), but switching from the USB 2.0 port to the USB 3.0 port resolved the problem for me.

Hi MI19,

Glad to hear that the issue is now resolved! It is not uncommon for some USB ports to perform better than others due to motherboard design. If you should have any other issues, please feel free to post or open a support ticket with us here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best Regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support