or
Create an account

or

Thread Mixdown with Mixcontrol and Scarlett 6i6

• 5 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Mixdown with Mixcontrol and Scarlett 6i6
Can someone please let me know if the following is possible with the 6i6 and the mixcontrol software. I have a project in Sonar with multiple audio tracks, vsti tracks and midi tracks. Is it possible to record all of these tracks into a new stereo master track? The reason I ask is because I purchased a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and I can find no way of achieving that. I am ready to ditch the NI and buy a 6i6 if it can do what I need it to do.
I think your solution lies in the daw software.
Most daws have an option " mixdown" or something.
This option bounces / merges all tracks or selected tracks to a stereo file.
All effects and plugin data will be added too.

So try to find an option like that in your software... This bounce is digital and gives no audio quality loss..

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2016 at 08:33:12 ]

Hello Angelie. Thank you for the advice. I have been using a PC for my recording for the past twenty years and always created the stereo track in the way you have suggested. I have recently switched over to a laptop with an audio interface and, sadly, I am finding the transition very difficult. The recording part is fine but, as I mentioned, I am not able to determine how to do a stereo mix. Using your suggestion makes no difference. The tracks play in the DAW but will not record onto a new track.
Hi,

I understand from what you have written that you have a lot of expertise. However i find it hard to beleave that options like mixdown don't work on a labtop with an external interface because mixdown is all done inside the computer as you know.

- i use it too on my mac with a scarlett18i20 and and octopre dynamic ( with both cubase and mixbus)

Can you describe what you have done to mixdown your tracks? And what for comments the software gives you if it goes wrong?

As far as i know in sonar it is an export function however i don't use sonar myself

Your problem will not be solved by getting yourself another interface because the NI and scarlett will have the same issue.
Only hard wiring the outputs to new inputs lets you downmix via mixcontrol.

- Angelie

Thank you again, Angelie. Your advice prompted me to trying something else. I have simplified the setup by using only the internal sound card. I created a vsti track. When I hit notes on the virtual keyboard, the level meters show that signal is received and I hear sound from the internal speakers. When I hit record, nothing records! By default, the input is routed from the Virtual Controller and the output is routed to the internal soundcard. I have tried other input/output combinations with no success.
Hi.

If you say you can hear your vst instrument but you can't record it i assume the problem lies somewhere else and has nothing to do with the mixdown but more with vst Instruments.

I'm not a plugin type of girl and i also don't use vst instruments myself so i think i can't help you with this.

Perhaps Mike or someone else can help you with this.

Sorry

- Angelie