or
Create an account

or

Thread live audio recordings gradually lose sync with midi performances?!?

• 5 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 live audio recordings gradually lose sync with midi performances?!?
I am using Sonar 4 PE. I am attempting to record live performance tracks (line out - keyboard) to midi recordings (battery 2 - drum machine). The problem is that the audio tracks gradually lose sync with the midi track, even thought the original keyboard performance was not off beat. For example, if i were to record the midi drum track to audio and played them simultaneously the audio version would gradually become more and more off beat. This is not a CPU performance as my PC resources are more than ample. I would appreciate any assistance in identifying and fixing this problem. I apologize if there is a post for this already.
hey.

i have experienced a similar problem as this. i was trying to record MIDI keyboard while rewired with audio. a suggestion i got was to look at the audio card you are using. there are certain cards that work amazing for playing back music etc and sound great, but they are not very good at all as far as recording goes. it really messes around with your system latency and causes information to be really screwed around with.

you can also try adjusting your buffer settings. this will give u smoother performances with bigger latency, or less latency with not as "smooth" of performance. whatever that means.... maybe give it a try if u havnt yet.

anyway, hope it works out.
Don't know about Sonar for sure, but my Home Studio 2 help files says if you have playback sync problems between audio and midi you should run the wave profiler again and use the defaults it finds.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
To revtford and johnnyboy,

Just a thought, are any of you using Audigy cards? The symptoms you indicated reminds me of recording at 48 khz then playing back at 44.1 khz. The problem is that Audigy cards default to 48 khz operation and do SRC on the fly to other samplerates. There is, however, an audible pitch shift when this occurs (in the order of 1/4 to 1/3 note pitch down) so the audio tracks will be noticeably out-of-tune with the midi tracks. There was mention (in another forum) that changing sample rates, while the audio app was open, could potentially confuse the audio card.
In my Home Studio, it's under Options>Audio. On the General tab, down at the lower left, is a button for the Wave Profiler.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
"if i were to record the midi drum track to audio and played them simultaneously the audio version would gradually become more and more off beat"

revtford, I have exactly the same problem.

I use Sonar LE. I have a SoundBlaster Live, set to playback at 44.1 khz.

Axeman, what is this wave profiler?

Thanks