Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
nickname009 nickname009
Published on 02/26/12 at 02:27
A classic reborn — the legendary sound of the 1963 Fender® Spring Reverb returns as a modern stompbox. BOSS and Fender® USA have collaborated to create the FRV-1, a stunning recreation of the legendary ’63 Fender® Reverb via COSM technology. The FRV-1 puts that timeless tube-driven reverb sound under your foot in a tough, reliable compact pedal.

A timeless classic — the Fender® Spring Reverb is the sound that launched the surf-music phenomenon, and is a staple of rockabilly, country, and blues. Later, it became commonplace in grunge and other modern genres. Now the same legendary sound can be had in an affordable, rugged compact pedal.

Recreates the legendary sound of the 1963 Fender® Reverb via COSM technology
Easy operation with three classic controls for Dwell, Tone, and Mix for creating sounds from buttery warmth to sparkling twang
Cool, retro appearance
Road-tough BOSS metal construction

This is a relatively new pedal, boss' attempt at recreating a classic fender '63 reverb tank. Housed in the classic compact boss single sized pedal, with no more than what? 3 knobs. Of course, the usual with boss. Simplicity so you can just plug in and play!

Simple with the 3 knobs dwell, tone and mix. Tweak'em all till you get that classic springy 'verb sound that you're used to hearing from a '63 tank.

Now, i'm not a BIG reverb user. But I do seldom use reverb and sometimes there's good sounding reverb and bad sounding reverb. I'll try to generalize for the common people who aren't tone purists or hardcore reverb users. A good reverb is something that doesn't generally alter your original guitar signal, but also sounds pleasing, with a sort of warm vibe and not sterile or thin etc. This is of course, the effect that I'm talking about, that 'hallway' effect. Some bad reverb effects sound like, they're not even there or working or audible, or that that 'hallway' effect just lacks something and sounds 'cold.

I do know a player who told me that he no longer takes out his actual '63 reverb tank because he has this pedal. That's how good this pedal supposedly is. So it's gotta be good! right? I think it sounds great for all the surf stuff, definitely. I always get a kick out of playing the james bond theme as well.

I think fender is definitely onto something with their newly released COSM-like pedals. This is one of them of course and sounds convincingly good! I would definitely look into this pedal if I were in search of a good reverb that reminded me of an older '63 fender tank.