Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal [1994-2006]
Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal [1994-2006]
Published on 10/16/09 at 15:21
The Vox V847 Wah Wah has both a reissue and a vintage version, the former of which is the one that I have used.  Either way, this is an analog wah wah pedal that has 1/4 inch connections.  It can be powered by 9 volt battery and isn't rack mountable.

Using the Vox V847 Wah Wah is just as easy as using any other wah wah pedal.  It has simple connections and the effect can be turned on or off by pressing down on the top of the foot pedal as there is a button below that.  There isn't much more to this pedal and those who have used any sort of wah wah pedal in the past won't have trouble with this pedal.  A manual isn't necessary to use this, although I have never seen the manual.

The Vox V847 Wah Wah reissue is one of the better vintage sounding wah wah pedals that I have used.  It isn't the cleanest wah, but where it lacks that certain clarity it makes up for in its grittiness and depth.  It definitely has a warm and round tone, round being one of the best terms to describe the sound that I can think of.  I have used the pedal for recording with a Fender Strat and a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb and the results are always outstanding.  While I can assume that the original V847 is better sounding than the reissue, the reissue sounds pretty great on its own.

I've been using the Vox V847 Wah Wah for about two years for recording and it is definitely a great option for getting wah sounds.  It has a warmer and rounder sound than that of modern day Crybaby wah pedals and I love having both around for different situations to get different sounds.  The price of this pedal isn't all that expensive and is about right for a wah of this caliber.  If you are looking for a really warm sounding wah wah pedal, the Vox V847 Wah Wah is a great choice.