Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal [1994-2006]
Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal [1994-2006]
Fireguy8402 Fireguy8402

« Classic Wah »

Published on 12/23/11 at 08:56
The V847 by VOX is your standard wah pedal, very similar to the Crybaby. It has a metal housing with a heavy duty bypass switch mounted under the metal foot rocker board, four rubber feet screwed to the bottom, an input for your instrument and an output to go to your amplifier. There are no high tech optical switches, Q knobs, or modes to fool with or go bad on you.

This wah pedal can sound good just about anywhere in the signal chain, but most people like to put it first in line after their guitar. I like that they use the same style of enclosure as the Crybaby, I like the sounds of some other wahs from Ibanez and Morley, but having to switch the pedal on and then use it takes too long for me. I need a pedal with the bypass under the treadle like this one. Some versions of this pedal have different tweaks for different mods and sweeps, but I find the original version to be more than enough to achieve those classic wah tones. The chrome on the top is just sexy. My main problem with this pedal is that they didn’t include a jack for external power. Why they did this I have no idea, but it turns a lot of people away from this otherwise great pedal. Most people opt for a power supply instead of battery power these days.

The Vox wah has a distinct sound. The range of this model is fairly wide and you are able to get abrupt quacks or slow filter sweeps depending on how you use the foot pedal. This pedal has a little more meat and throaty sound than a regular standard Crybaby does. This pedal doesn’t have any other modes or settings to tweak, so what you get is what you get. It is a very well voiced wah though, and can cut through a mix without being to whiney sounding like some Crybabies I’ve tried in the past.

The VOX V847 is a nice sounding basic wah wah pedal. I do feel it beats out the standard Crybaby just because it has a little more throaty sound in the mids and less of a tiny thin sound to the high end. It does steal a little bit of high end when put into your signal path, but nothing that can’t be corrected by your amplifier. The VOX, much like the Crybaby, is a staple in rock and roll guitar. Honestly I don’t think you could go wrong with either of these pedals. The one thing I didn’t like about this wah was the problem of not having an input for an external power supply, but VOX remedied this with production of the V847-A. I believe there were a couple other small changes to the circuit and the pot, but if it sounds close to the original reissue with a power adapter, it should be a winner too.