or
Create an account

or

Thread Mic for guitar recording

• 14 replies
  • 8 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Mic for guitar recording
Hi. Which mic do you prefer for guitar recording shure sm57 or beta57 ???
Can I use these for bass too? :oops: :?: :P
Show first post
I agree with the above. Yes, the SM 57 sounds great, and it's the mic used in plenty of classic records to mic the guitar cab. I'm not trying to knock it, but, I have both the B1 and 57 , and the B1 just sounds fuller to me. In general putting a condensor mic in front of a high sound source is not a good idea, but according to Studio Projects, it's made to go in front of guiar cabs, and I don't record at ear-splitting volume (takes an spl of 132 db - below is the link to the company with reviews by Digital Pro Sound and Home Recording), and at $99 it can double as a good all around condensor mic for vocals too! The B1 is a very neutral sounding mic. (Polar plots also available at the link) I always found that the SM57 colored my sound, and I worked hard to get the sound I wanted out of my amp, so I wanted exactly that sound into my DAW. The B1 does that very well for me, but if the 57 colors the sound in a way you like, then that's for you!

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/b1.html

The other important parts of the recording chain are very important too, and these can affect the sound greatly.

In the final analysis, however, we should all use what works for each of us. :D
You know, the above post makes a lot of sense. One thing that I think we've all forgotten is that we never asked what kind of sound that the person asking the question is looking for. Is it a metal distortion? Funk clean? Pop punch?

It's a shame that one cannot test out a mic in their own environment before choosing.

Does anyone know of a good reference for what mic styles/types for each kind of music? If not, perhaps the community of this website could come up with a FAQ for this website. Any takers?
A 57 is just plain good to have. Personally I run a 57 right into the cab and then use a MXL 990 about 3 foot back at amp level. I mix both tracks to my liking. To me, it seems like the low end waves need some time to develop in space.

No experience with the beta.

The Mic forum would be a cool idea.... :D

Topics could be different microphones, posts could be user expience, sound, technical problems, fixes, eq suggestions, ect.

-replies could add to it.. ooooooooh. Sorry, getting excited. I've been looking for a comprehensive listing with reviews and such. As a bike tech as well, www.mtbr.com is my first line weaponry when building a new bike. Haven't seen this for microphones. Of course, it'd probably have to be different from the regular microphone section. More like a users guide. I don't know. I'm no web layout person or page designer. Whatever :oops:

Happy Halloween. Time to give out some candy.
Once again, another great posting! I think that mackovyak hit the nail on the head- having a Shure 57 mic is a good idea, just because it's without a doubt THE most versatile microphone. There WILL come a time when someone will say "man, wish we had a 57!" and it's nice being able to just whip one out.
recently i try a beheringer B1 and a SM57 in front of the same cab.. on different speaker obvious!! hehe...
the b1 tend to go deeper, and boominest...

before i try an sm58 and a beta58 (the others mics i have) and.. without questions, the SM57 get the best "guitar" sound, i will try the B1 a little far from cab to get some air..

ohh! and i mic mi bass amp with a sm57, i record mi bass on two channels, one DI and one MIC with the SM57... and sound very very well..mmh.. ok, sounds GREAT!