Create an account

or

Thread focusrite scarlett 18i8 noise problem

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 focusrite scarlett 18i8 noise problem
greeting all,

1st of all, apologies, I guess this is a often visited problem but I've tried most cures and got nowhere.

My Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface outputs started making a hellacious buzz/hum sound when I recently turned it on.

My setup:

Macbook pro > usb > Focusrite 18i8 > Balanced 1/4” TRS to XLR > Yamaha HS7’s.

All power supplies are plugged into the same 4 way adapter.

This setup has always worked flawlessly before with no noise. I didn’t use it for a few weeks. Then next time I turned everything on there was a loud buzzing/hum from both monitors. The interface connects as normal via USB but nothing from LOGIC or iTunes plays through the monitors. Just noise. However the headphones ports work fine.

Nothing has been moved / dropped / sloshed with coffee / changed that I’m aware of.

I’ve tested all components separately.
Cables work elsewhere.
Monitors work from mixing desk.
Tried same setup in a different room with different plugs and different plug adapters I know to to be ok.
Monitors work from headphone outputs.
I’ve tried an identical power supply from a friends Focusrite interface and that had the same issue. (Despite working with his one fine)

From what I’ve read on your site and others this could be a ground loop issue, however I think I’ve tried most things mentioned to no avail.

Can you advise me please? Is there something obvious I’m missing? Could it be a broken component on the outputs from an electrical surge or something?

cheers, any help appreciated,
Stu