Create an account

or

Thread Home studio : monitor speakers for electronic music

• 8 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Home studio : monitor speakers for electronic music

Good afternoon everyone,

I want to replace my home studio monitors (which were those I started producing with...), so as to gain quality and precision. I produce mostly Trance and Psytrance music, meaning I need something I can produce basses with. What would you advise me to buy ? 

I've made a little research, and it seemes that the Mackie HR824 mk2 and the KRK VXT8  (respectively used by Adam Ellis and Sean Tyas...) both correspond to what I'm looking for. Are there other monitors I should consider ? 

Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edit : I have a 1000€ budget, but I'm ready to buy second hand monitors if the discount is interesting.

[ Post last edited on 08/16/2015 at 09:31:51 ]

I'll give you the same recommendations I gave to someone else recently on the forum who was asking about 8" monitors: The Yamaha HS8 ($349 each) or the PreSonus Eris E8 ($249 each). Good luck!
Go out there and go somewhere where you can testdrive a few.

I realy don't understand people. You can't buy monitors because a famous person is using them.
It is a combination of type of music, hearing curves, room type and some other factors.

I will stop now :-D

Good luck finding some nice pair of speakers.

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

@angelie : I know that the fact someone famous is using them doesn't mean they would be good for me. Those I mentionned were recommanded by the famous people in question, and that's why I consider buying them, but of course I'll test them before ! ;)

And I would test all they have at the nearest music store if I could, but they have very little in stock and they prefer that we call them a few days before so as to tell them what we would like to test. That's why I'm asking what might be good for me, to compare them afterwards at the store. :) 

I see,

I know you like them to produce deep, tight bass right? Normally those are huge :-)
I wish you could listen to the krk 3-way (103) in some rooms these are dangerous animals.
To bad they go over your buget.

The other krk vxt is a good option. To be honest i have no idea how the mackies sound.

Yahmaha like Mike mentioned has the name to be a fabulous speaker system....

-Angelie

[ Post last edited on 08/17/2015 at 11:50:26 ]

Good evening,

After testing pretty much all the local store had that might have corresponded to what I wanted, I've finally chosen the KRK VXT8

Quote:
After testing pretty much all the local store had that might have corresponded to what I wanted, I've finally chosen the KRK VXT8.

I'm glad you found monitors you like.:bravo: Best of luck with them!
Please leave a review :-D
Have fun with you speakers and happy mixing.

- Angelie

Thanks !

I will do a review in a few days, but I prefer to work a little with them before ;)