AKG C 214
AKG C 214
PaulyPaul PaulyPaul

« all purpose microphone »

Published on 10/14/12 at 22:13
The AKG C214 is a large diaphragm condenser microphone that comes with a respected price tag. The Polar pattern is cardioid and the frequency range is 20 to 20,000 Hz. It has a standard 3 pin XLR input/cable, it does require phantom power due to the fact it’s a condenser. The AKG C214 was a major upgrade for myself and other artist that use this microphone in my personal studio. It has completely stepped up the recording quality for us. I have been using this microphone now since March of 2010 and will continue to use it to this day as one of the main microphones in my set up. It has a low cut filter (160 Hz, 6dB) and that is switchable.

The AKG C214 comes with a wind screen, suspension mount, and carrying case. The microphone is made out of solid materials and has a nice feel and weight to it. It seems to be well built and though I have never dropped it or anything close to that, I don’t think a drop or fall could hurt it any or even dent the double mesh grill. This microphone sounds great on vocals, brass instruments and some string instruments including guitars running through amps.

You can use the AKG C214 as a live microphone or a studio microphone. I have heard in a live club and it sounded amazing. But we only use it to record with. The AKG C214 is a well rounded do it all type of microphone that any studio owner must invest in. It will never hurt to have a microphone on hand that can take anything that you throw at it. The sound quality is amazing and it is a very affordable microphone, I am actually still thinking about buying another one when I see one on eBay for cheap then I can get rid of one of the MXL microphones and replace it with the AKG C214. I wouldn’t mind having a studio full of these microphones!