Create an account

or

Thread Anyone have some Ribbon Mic Recommendations

• 5 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Anyone have some Ribbon Mic Recommendations
Hello,

I am looking to pickup a ribbon mic, but would like to get some recommendations first. I am looking just to pickup an entry to intermediately priced ribbon mic and have a few candidates that are in the price range:

NADY RSM
BEYERDYNAMIC M500
Electro Harmonix EH R-1 Ribbon Microphone
Apex 210 Apex210 Ribbon Microphone

Thanks
Timur the Lame
A little out of your budget, but the Royer R121 has been great and terrible for me. It doesn't get used all that often, but when it does, it kills.

EDIT: Having said this a long time ago, I've really grown to love the Royer R121.

Brandon
I would have to say go with the Nady as opposed to the older models. If for nothing else, the internal shock mount.
www.shinybox.com ??
I have tried a few ribbons and they can be great in the right place but I was a bit disapointed with the general softness of the Sound of the Tbone. I think they work when you have a good room to record in. For a good page on the AEA ribbon have a look at http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/AEA-Ribbon-Microphone.shtml
I just used a Nady RSM2 on a session and loved it. The one I had had the internal windscreen removed, so that may have contributed to its character, but in general got a lovely warm sound from it.