Create an account

or

Thread Marshall MXL V69 Mogami Edition

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Marshall MXL V69 Mogami Edition
Hi,

I want to know about this mic a little more, I've read many, many reviews about it and from what I've read I can say that most of them were positive. I was wondering about the tube that it uses, and why people changed the tube. The mic comes with a 12AT7 tube (whatever that means)....and people change the tubes to get a (NOS) sound ????NOS

Like The Mullard 12AT7 CryoValve has a lower noise floor and is free of microphonics as compared to most other 12AT7. Having great harmonics, we think this is one of the best sounding 12AT7 we have heard.

Why change Tubes? what is NOS?

So is the MXL V69 good even if you dont change the tube?

Thank you.
Max
Most people change tubes because the ones that come with MXL mics are cheap chinese tubes that are of low quality and tolerances. These tubes have a tendency to be microphonic.

I once read an article in EQ or Mix magazine where even Oktava tube mics had a similar (12AX7) chinese tubes which were replaced with either better made Sovtek tubes or even the so-called New Old-Stock (NOS) RCA tubes. Even my ART Tube MP V3 comes with a chinese 12AX7 that I will replace with a Fender 12AX7 I once saw in a guitar shop (if I can find some RCA's that'll be better).

Hope this helps!

Kit
I am a total neophyte home recordist whose friend bought me a couple of V69s. They have largely laid around in the cases until I just got an SQ01 sequencer with a new S90 keyboard and I pulled them out to try the audio function.

There' s a nasty roar in both mics, like ocean waves. Is this something to do with the tubes, or moisture or what?

The mics are 3-4 years old and never been used.

:(

James
"There' s a nasty roar in both mics, like ocean waves. Is this something to do with the tubes, or moisture or what? "

Did you let them warm up? I always try to let them warm up for 30 minutes or so before using. I've had to each of my V69s worked on (for free by MXL) and they've always taken care of me.

Brandon