Vox AD120VT
Vox AD120VT
MGR/Anonymous MGR/Anonymous

« VOX AD120VT Valvetronix Modeling Amp »

Published on 01/25/03 at 15:00
I've been playing for good while now and needed an amp to do justice to my Maverick F1 guitar for gig playing, obviously a 15w practice amp wouldnt do it. I had intended to buy something by Line 6 because the ideal of modelling amps appeals to me just because of the sheer flexibility of the things. I found this was in the same price range and when I played it I nearly had a siezure. I paid £850 for it and got the foot pedal for free.

Pretty much everything. Unlike most modelling amps it has a built in valve pre amp which gives it a much higher 'punch' to its sound and stops it sounding like a bad midi file (a problem I noticed on the line 6 models sometimes). The 32 pre set channels are great and the fact you can have your clean set up geared completely differantly to your distorted channel is a huge advantage and allows for much more scope when playing.
Another thing that this amp has over other modeling amps I seen is that its effects loop (21 effects in all) is split into four seperate channels, which allows you to use up to four on board effects at once on top of your amp model selection.

The foot switcher is a little awkward to use at first and required alot of pre planning sometimes. It is still flexible but it could benefit from being about twice the size and having about 3 times the amount of buttons on it rather than having inidivual buttons doubling up on functions and having to change 'modes' etc. I would rather concentrate on my playing and have to worry less about how Im programming the unit from my feet. it also cant switch between all 8 banks only banks 1-4 or banks 1.-4. (equivalent of 5 - 8) which can limit it.

It's sturdy and well balanced, if heavy. The foot changer (despite being awkward as already mentioned) is pretty damn tough and as obviously been designed with the idea that people are going to be stomping on it in mind. Design wise its not very showy but it doesnt have to be with this kind of sound!.

If your intending on looking at modelling amps definatly give this a go, you might be sceptical at first but it really does blow all the other modelling amps Ive played in a similiar (and sometimes higher) price range away completly.