PSP Audioware VintageWarmer 2

« Vintage warmer review »

Published on 03/12/15 at 07:12
Value For Money : Correct
Audience: Anyone
The Vintage Warmer is a plug-in that has become incredibly popular recently thanks to the fact that it offers musicians the ability of having a processing unit which can create an Analog sound, as well as many other warm effects. The sound of analogue has always been desired since software has become more and more popular and now devices such as the Vintage Warmer are being developed so as to create an artificial sense of warmth that resembles that of hardware. In this review I will take a look at the Vintage Warmer and will outline its main features.

Features

I acquired the Vintage Warmer with the hope that it would warm up my mixes and my individual sounds. It has an effect of creating a virtual analog simulation and has saturation effects when it is over driven which is similar to that of analogue. The Vintage Warmer is essentially a multi-band compressor that has a selection of features that imitate analogue devices.

The thing that I first noticed about the Vintage Warmer is that it doesn't really look like a modern plug-in and has quite a good traditional visual style. It was however easy to use and I quickly started getting good results.

Pros and cons

I really liked this plug-in thanks to its cheap price and its effective use on a wide range of sounds. I found it to be exceptionally good on sounds such as drums, bass and vocals and began also experimenting with it on the master channel for a warmer mix.

What I've found to be really nice about the Vintage Warmer was that it was a very dynamic plug-in which could be used on many different sounds for a positive effect. It can also be used on the master channel to boost a mix and add warmth. The problem that I think it will bring to many producers who use this device is that they will become reliant on in all of their mixes and will not be able to decide when to use it and when not to use it. This may become a problem because I found that sometimes the Vintage Warmer did make certain sounds more muddy and this was especially true when I used it on the whole mix for certain tracks. It is important that you use your ears when doing drastic processing like this so that you can be sure that you're not detracting from the mix rather than adding to it.

Comparisons to the Vintage Warmer

I found the Vintage Warmer to be in a league of its own when comparing it to other multi-band compressors. However, I found that there were several other plug-ins that are now imitating the design of the vintage warmer, but none are quite as good. One of those that was good was that of the URS saturation plug-in. This is a popular device that has a slightly more crunchy sound than that of the vintage warmer.

Summary

The Vintage Warmer is a brilliant plug-in that I really appreciate, thanks to its cheap price and its access to demos around the web which also allow individuals the ability to test it out before they buy. I also liked the ease-of-use and was able to add it to sounds and tweak the plug-in very quickly in order to get a good result. I think that it may get overused if the individual does not pay attention to the sound and it is important to stay vigilant with the plug-in when you do choose to use it on your mix and on certain sounds. However, if you use a sequencer which allows plug-ins, then investing in the Vintage Warmer is certainly a good idea.