Electro-Harmonix POG
Electro-Harmonix POG

Octaver/Harmonizer/Whammy from Electro-Harmonix belonging to the POG series.

MGR/Derek Mok MGR/Derek Mok

« Electro-Harmonix POG Polyphonic Octave Generator »

Published on 01/17/07 at 15:00
Primarily a singer, I've been playing guitar for about 10 years, been in a band (drummer!), and have continued to record and play with other musicians on a non-professional basis. My styles range from folk to hard rock, with heavy power-pop leanings -- Big Star, not Green Day.

Bought this from Musician's Friend as a blemished copy for $199.

It will alter your sound pretty dramatically. I plugged an Epiphone Mandobird into it and got an eerie church bell tone. Using a Les Paul, I also got some pretty intriguing simulations of an organ when the octave sliders are pushed up. It's great for making your guitar not sound like a guitar.

The chassis feels very, very flimsy. I also played with an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff pedal and the feel is the same, like the pedal is surrounded only by a thin layer of pressed metal that can warp with pressure. The POG is also not exactly a versatile pedal -- it always sounds pretty synthesizer-like. The on/off switch is in a terrible spot, on a corner of the pedal, and since the pedal has a wide surface, I always feel like I'm going to flip the thing over when I activate it.

Feels flimsy. The thin metal sliders are tiny and thin, with cheap plastic caps, and will probably bend if you step on them by accident. The on/off switch is rough and has to be pressed down hard all the way to do its job. I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd been sent a dead pedal by Musician's Friend because that switch was so hard to activate.

Sonically this pedal was exactly what I thought it would be -- something to transform my guitar into almost another different instrument. But I have major doubts about the build quality, durability, and ergonomic design of the pedal. I definitely think Electro-Harmonix could revamp its approach towards construction, because none of my other pedals -- a Line 6 Delay Modeller, a Sabine fuzz, a Marshall Jackhammer, an Ibanez delay -- feel as awkward and flimsy as this one. I like the POG's sounds; I just don't like its fragile feel.