or
Create an account

or

Thread best sequencer : cakewalk, cubase or Logic ?

• 13 replies
  • 14 participants
  • 0 follower
1 best sequencer : cakewalk, cubase or Logic ?
Hi,

I've been using cakewalk for several years and I'm pretty satisfyed.
With the new version (sonar 3) It has become compatible with VST instruments). But I found that Cubase is still better for audio.

I head that cabase SX 2 version has arrived during the last months. I also heard that the new version is rather instable ?

Has anybody tested the new features, compared it with Cakewalk Sonar 3 ?

What about the last logic versions ?
Hello Ben,

I've been using sonar from the cakewalk 3, and the fisrt time I used a Steinberg software was on a 520 ST and it was called Pro 24 ;-)

So I think that sonar is definitivly more intuitive for muscian, and that Cubase is realy more dedicated for the mix.

Concerning Logic and Pro Tools, I would say they are part of the previous generation :?

In europe Cubase is certainly the best seller, but in US/canada, Cakewalk is realy a step behind.
I personally think that most multitrack/sequencer softwares offer the same features. Therefore I do not think that one particular software is better than the others.

What definitely makes the difference is the know how and the habits you acquire when using a particular software. What I would recommend is to find the software you're the most comfortable with and stick with it. What will make it better than the others is the ability you'll develop to use all its features at their best.
I agree with Gawain on finding what makes you comfortable and then sticking with it. However...I had used a friend's Cubase for a couple of years here while we were making demos in Saudi, and I got very comfortable with it. When it came time to buy, however, it was another story. I wanted the best thing for my applications as a singer-songwriter playing acoustic guitar.

Hence, audio. Not so much midi.

I attended Berklee College of Music for a summer in 1998 and became good friends with a guy who graduated from the school's recording/engineering program. When the time came to buy, I asked him for advice, and he gave me the in's and out's of different DAW's. For my purposes, he told me I (and bear in mind that I am a dedicated Mac user) would be happy with Digital Performer, because it offers "more" (I think in terms of audio, or audio and midi combined) than ProTools LE, but don't quote me, because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I'm a baby at this. I have heard from others, however, who have said, cost for cost, it's true. So, being on a budget, I bought DP3 and have been learning it, using it, happy with it, for the most part.

The important thing to me has been finding user group support. Yahoo has that. Cubase offers more support, because it's a more widely used product worldwide, but I wanted more "product" for my purchase. We'll see what time offers as I get more into using my gear.

I agree that it doesn't generally matter so much what DAW you're using, so long as you're getting the best sound possible, and you're comfortable with the interface. Cubase was really easy to use, so it was hard to walk away from. But they all seem somewhat the same to me. I have transferred files to friends who use PC-based systems and Logic and whatever else, and they've added tracks to the songs without any problem.

Manuals are important to consider, no matter what system you're buying.

There's my two cents' worth.

Lorelei
I've always been a Cakewalk guy. I started out with version 5 and I'm still using Pro Audio 9. Haven't felt the need to upgrade to Soanar. 9.0 does everything I need for it to do and I'm very comfortable working in it.

It really is all about finding out what works best for you. Everybody has a different approach and works differently, and what works well for me may not work at all for you!!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote: Hi,

I've been using cakewalk for several years and I'm pretty satisfyed.
With the new version (sonar 3) It has become compatible with VST instruments). But I found that Cubase is still better for audio.

I head that cabase SX 2 version has arrived during the last months. I also heard that the new version is rather instable ?

Has anybody tested the new features, compared it with Cakewalk Sonar 3 ?

What about the last logic versions ?

i'm a new user of cubase and i must say i like it. it's very usefull and easy to use (to me, all my friends say it's too hard and give up).

%1$s a écrit I personally think that most multitrack/sequencer softwares offer the same features. Therefore I do not think that one particular software is better than the others.

What definitely makes the difference is the know how and the habits you acquire when using a particular software. What I would recommend is to find the software you're the most comfortable with and stick with it. What will make it better than the others is the ability you'll develop to use all its features at their best.

I totally agree with U Gawain... :D

It's a personal thing...I've been a Logic user since they introduced Audio in the program . I've been using Cubase before ,for about 2 years...
but that's about 7 years ago...much has changed...I think ,by the looks of it ,
I'm just soooooooo... used to Logic ,that I'wouldn't chance it for the WORLD !!!
I think most programs ,share the same features...but 2 me Logic = LOGIC !!! :lol:
Cubase SX 2 is way more stable than 1.xx! I've had both on the same machine...
What sold me are the ASIO drivers and VST support (both Steinberg creations).
When I installed my Audigy Platinum card (ASIO) the latency issues I had vanished.
I am also fond of the sequencing capabilities - much better than the Alesis MMT-8 I learned MIDI sequencing on (yes, it's OLD).
I do find these polls interesting in that most people "love" the software they know how to use best. I guess that makes sense. No one ever says, "Program X is best. I have no idea about any of the features and find it completely overwhelming and useless. Long live Program X!"
Go with what you know - for me, that's Cubase.
if you're considering purchasing Nuendo, or Cubase SX/SL and midex, keep in mind their Midex8 has major problems transmitting sysex and controllers. This means you are screwed if you use synths or hardware control surfaces. Thanks Steinberg.