Gibson SG Classic Faded - Worn Cherry
Gibson SG Classic Faded - Worn Cherry

SG Classic Faded - Worn Cherry, SG-Shaped Guitar from Gibson in the SG series.

MGR/Derek Mok 11/11/2003

Gibson SG Classic Faded - Worn Cherry : MGR/Derek Mok's user review

« Gibson SG Classic »

I bought this from Musician's Friend for $900. My old electric guitar, a Squier Strat, was simply not inspiring me to play electric.

This is the most important guitar I've ever played. The neck is a dream (that "Gibson grab") and with binding, the fingerboard feels great to the fingers, the finish is lovely with rich colours and mahogany grain, and the controls are sensitive. Suffice to say I started playing lead guitar because of this SG, and my playing improved 300% thanks to the superior craftsmanship. It is also extremely light and playable with unrivaled upper-fret access, in that special SG way.

The only complaint you might have is that this guitar comes with single-coil P-90 pickups, not humbuckers. But I happen to love these pickups, which have shades of the richness of humbuckers but the cutting and percussive qualities of single-coils. Also, typical of SGs, the guitar is neck-heavy and prone to falling down headstock-first and sustaining massive damage. It requires careful handling.

Fabulous. There is no better-built guitar in my arsenal.

Gibson is no longer making this guitar around 2000, but if you find it, it's a great acquisition. It's like the current Pete Townshend model with a sharper finish and an additional tailpiece.