AKG C 418
Publié le 02/26/09 à 12:23
The AKG C 418 is a clip on condenser microphone designed for use with drums. It can be used both in the studio or on the stage, but I have only used it in the studio. The clip and the built in XLR wire make it easy to place and set up on drums as well as any other instrument you can clip it on to. The microphone is built well and will definitely last for a long time if you take care of it.

I've been using the AKG C 418s for about five or six years, as they were the first microphones I bought to record tom tom drums with. I like them because of how easy they are to place on drums and because I usually get great sounding results with them. While I only use them for drums, they are suitable for any situation where you would need to clip a dynamic microphone on to the instrument. If you buy these mics within the AKG drum pack that comes with the D112, you can get a killer deal in terms of per mic price. In fact, this would be the only way I would recommend buying these mics, because if you buy them on their own they are way to expensive for what you are getting. The mics definitley have a good sound quality and its small size is convenient, but there are better sounding microphones out there for a similar price or cheap, including the Shure SM57 and the Sennhesier 421, which are both better choices in my opinion for recording drums. The C418s are also a great deal if you can get one used as they good for quite cheap on ebay. I wouldn't recommend these for the professional studio environment, as there are an array of mics that sound better, but for the project studio owner that is looking for a good price (used or within the AKG drum pack) and a quick set up, these are definitely worth a try.