< All Neumann KMS 105 reviews
Neumann KMS 105
James... James...

« I just hope you can sing good »

Published on 12/20/11 at 16:34
In terms of dynamic mics, this is a pretty high tech design, with a 4 layer filter and a fairly high performance spec. You definitely get your money's worth in technology. The clarity of the 105, especially for a live dynamic microphone, is pretty unbelievable. It's highly sensitive to placement and mic technique. It will reveal more about a singer than just about any mic I've used. Some people have said that the response curve is similar to a beta 87 but I have not heard a similarity in the real world. The 87 has a more peaky mid range and is a bit more prone to feedback with a bad PA. I feel like the 105 has a warmness to it that a lot of "clear" live dynamic mics lack. It doesn't have that imbalance between clearness and smoothness that is so present in cheaper dynamic vocal mics.

The thing is, if your singer isn't very talented and well educated on how to use a mic, this one will show it. If you have a good system to go with it and a good singer, this might be the best live vocal mic out there. When used in a good environment and with a singer I trust, I have been blown away by this thing. I wish more places I played had them. If I see these in a venue I breath a sigh of relief. Because I know whoever is running sound probably know what he's doing...you would have to if you want to get the most out of these.

I recommend you try this with your own setup against your favorite shure/akg/whatever and make sure it's to your liking. Not everyone will think the 105 is worth the cash. Personally I think it is but we're speaking about diminishing returns here. As far as reliability I have never had an issue but I baby the 3 I have. I've used them elsewhere and they all seem solid. This is a real sleeper to a lot of people and I really recommend you wake up and get one.