< All Waves SSL 4000 Collection reviews

Software channel strip from Waves belonging to the SSL series

James... James...

« I like it...I like it a lot. »

Published on 08/11/11 at 14:15
Waves installs are easy. Not issues with compatibility in Cubase 64 bit. That's always nice. I'm not sure if this has a manual because I've never really read it. I just sort of learned it as I went which in retrospect was probably not the best idea because this thing can be tricky at first. Honestly though I think the learning curve doesn't matter too much due to the great presets included. You can do a lot with this out of the box just with the presets alone. Even cut a full mix if you are patient. I found the channel strip to have a medium difficulty to use. It's not super complicated but it is tricky at first. Not a gripe. Just honesty.

I use it with Cubase and it works fine. Does take up a fair amount of resources but I can imagine with all the emulation going on this is to be expected. If you end up using this as often as I do then you might want to think about getting a fast rig. Mine is top of the line and I still have trouble with keeping a few of them running sometimes. In some mixes I will have 6 or 7 at once and have to start freezing.

This has become my most used all in one comp and EQ plugin. It does both wondefully. Adds a serious punch to everything works miracles for a song that is in danger of crowding. The comp can be a bit much on some slower songs when dynamics need to be left low but I must say the EQ sounds great on everything no matter what. There's some kind of magic sauce going on here...and I don't know why but I love what it is. There have been days where I have tried 10 or 20 other plugins on a track just to go back to the SSL. It's that good. If you are just getting started in the VST game then I would suggest you buy this pack first. You can do a lot with it and not have to make another purchase for some time. I highly recommend it for the price. I just wish I would've found it sooner. This is one of those vsts that makes you want to load up ALL your old projects and put the SSL on them to see what wonders it can do to a remix.