Waves V-EQ 3
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Vintage style EQ »

Publié le 07/30/11 à 19:34
The mixture of vintage sound with the precision, reliability and response of digital stuff is always something that software engineers in the music industry are working to achieve. This is another vintage style EQ that Waves has made to help people get that vintage sound without having to buy the unreliable equipment. This is actually a clone of the 1066 and 1073 console EQs. It has a knob for different settings of the high pass filter, a knob for the LF shelf filter, MF bell filter knob, HF shelf filter, output knob, analog on/off switch and eq/phase switch. To enable this, simple call it up in your DAW on whatever buss you want to EQ. I tend to EQ first before doing anything. I never read the manual, but this is so simple that it's not needed.

Waves is really one of the best companies out there when it comes to implementing solid plugins with no real fuss. These plugins are always rock solid and super stable; this plugin is really no different. I've never experienced a single crash or hiccup while using this plugin. The plugin is also cross platform compatible, so Windows and OS X users alike can use these without any problems. There is one issue that I always gripe about, however. These plugins are 32 bit for OS X. Right now, I'm using a 64 bit DAW, and for me to utilize these plugins, it needs to launch a special bridge application. I'm not a huge fan of the way my DAW utilizes these, so I'm hoping they update these in the future. I've been using the Waves Mercury bundle for the past six or so months, and it's been a very enlightening experience to say the least.

This isn't exactly the most versatile EQ out there. It's more geared towards getting that vintage console EQ sound for those finishing touches more than anything else. It works fairly nicely, but I find myself just reaching for the default EQ whenever I want to EQ stuff. It's just easier for me to work with a paragraphic style EQ than working with these old school turn knob EQs as I was brought up in the digital age of recording. Good quality but not exactly something I'd use on a daily basis.