or
Create an account

or

Thread New USB Interface!!

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 New USB Interface!!
I saw a new USB interface from Lexicon in a new catalog I got today. It was called the Omega Studio. It had 2 high quality mic pres (with TRS inserts), 4 balanced line ins, a guitar direct input, midi in/out, 24 bit conversion, coaxial SPDIF, phantom power, software designed by Cakewalk (for the PC- there was a Mac version, too), plus their Pantheon Reverb plug in.

It will record up to 4 tracks at once.

For $349. :shock: :D

You can check it out here:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/Omega/index.asp
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I've had this for a couple of weeks now and I like it quite a bit, it's very handy, however, I don't like the software too much...
Thrawn,
can you tell us a bit more about your experience with the Lexicon?
I'm thinking about purchasing one. Is the speed of USB sufficient to record 4 tracks at once?
I wish I could shed more light on it for you guys, but unfortunately I've only run one track at a time on it since I record using me myself and I ;) It's a nice unit, but as for it's speed I'm not very sure.
I don't recommend any USB audio interfaces at all. The limitations far outweigh any "conveniences", IMO.

Besides PCI and Firewire based interfaces are very affordable now, and give much more flexibility, power, and value.

Quote: I don't recommend any USB audio interfaces at all. The limitations far outweigh any "conveniences", IMO.

Besides PCI and Firewire based interfaces are very affordable now, and give much more flexibility, power, and value.

Thanks Bowisc- I meant to mention "for laptop guys" in the original post. There are a lot of folks here trying to use laptops with USB. You're right, though, for a desktop I'd stick with PCI or Firewire, although the latter is a complete unknown for me right now!!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote: [quote]I don't recommend any USB audio interfaces at all. The limitations far outweigh any "conveniences", IMO.

Thanks Bowisc- I meant to mention "for laptop guys" in the original post. There are a lot of folks here trying to use laptops with USB. You're right, though, for a desktop I'd stick with PCI or Firewire, although the latter is a complete unknown for me right now!![/quote]

If any of you laptop users have PCMCIA card slots on your machine... know that you can buy a PCMCIA-to-Firewire adapter. I did this on one of my older Thinkpads and it works great. They average about $40 these days.

I bought the Omega Studio...Only thing I run into is recording audio. I get ticks, static, and sometimes an echo. Drives me nutts.
What I really wanted to do was run my Roland MIDI controller to the Yamaha Sequencer then to the OMEGA. wouldn't work. See I want the sequenced sounds instead of the ones Protracks gives me. I did install WinGroove 9.0e which is 64 voice poly. Sound is really realistic. Adding volcas is a problem for me. I have sound blaster live audio card. And when I try to record volcals I get ticks, loud static, the meter is all the way in the red. I can't figure out how to get it to work. Once I did get it to work great. Lexicon (USB) 1in 2in record..Playback Lexicon *USB) 3 in and 4 out. But now it doesn't work that way. Tell me how you get audio added without loud noises. I am using XLR Mics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks