or
Create an account

or

Thread How to properly mix vocals into music?

• 18 replies
  • 8 participants
  • 0 follower
1 How to properly mix vocals into music?
I've been singing for the past two years or so but I've always never knew how to properly mix vocals into just music. What I do normally is first record my vocals through mono instead of stereo, then add some reverb or other voice-enhancing effects, then just "mix" it into the music (karaoke/instrumental/etc) using my Sound Forge program. But I feel like I am missing something here... I use a regular crappy USB mic, but it's the best thing I can afford, but I think I may have to do some more type of audio-work before mixing it in, eh? What do you guys think? I don't know how to properly or "Truly" professional-quality mix....
Bro- there is only so much you can do with a mic that is not a decent mic. I've never even heard of a USB mic- you need to save some $$ for a basic mic- like a Shure SM-57 or SM-58 or something. I know $$ can be a bummer, but you do need to have some basic quality level,, and no amount of plug-ins or tricks will fix that.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I am not talking about mic quality. I am talking about if I am mixing it correctly or rather than the techniques (recording in mono, add sfx, then mixing) if they are the proper way or can be improved in one way or another.
That is right way. Try some eq and reverb. Otherwise is your bad mic.

Try to get right sound with eq (equlizer) but I don't know if sound forege has the right thing.
Oh yeah.. I've always wondered....why is it better to record in mono then mix rather than record in stereo and mix it?
I couldn't imagine giving up the control that mixing offers. I can't think of a time when I haven't recorded a single mic to it's own single track. It's mono because there is only one mic. How are you going to make that stereo?

If you are mixing in Sound Forge, you have the wrong tools. You need multitrack software, not a wave editor. The difference will become quite clear when you are able to actually mix.

Brandon
Hehe, will do, ag! :D

%1$s a écrit Yeah, heard a lot of good things about the GT's though I'm leaning more towards their Brick at the moment. I was originally planning on a Rode NT but the Studio Electronics C1 is beginning to look like a better choice. Might even try my hand on an Oktava (the russian made ones, not the chinese rip-offs) or an AT 3035 or 4033; the AT 2020 seems interesting, as well. So many mic choices, so little budget.

Also trying to save some dinero for either a Fireface or Creamware Scope system as well as upgrading my Sonar to V5. The Emu has been behaving extremely well in my system but I'm in the process of building the Neo2 for a dual-pc setup next year so a new soundcard will be necessary. Ahhh, the pitfalls of having caught the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) bug!

Best,

I know what you mean, Kit! If only we had the budget for our mic cabinets that the people who are making not-so-good music have, but who also have Neumanns, AKG C414s, Blue's tops of the line, and Telefunkens... to dream a dream of a mic cabinet filled with tubes and all the best condensors....ahhhhhh, now there's the rub!!!!
I'm fully "GAS"ed too, but if my wife had anything to say about it, it'd be the end of my GAS! :lol: Actually, she's pretty good about it, so long as I keep it within reason. She says I can buy a whole cabinet of the world's best mics when I engineer a platinum record. If only she understood what it takes!:rolleyes: If you find there are any U47 out there at a good price, let me know, please!!! lol :lol:
Yeah, heard a lot of good things about the GT's though I'm leaning more towards their Brick at the moment. I was originally planning on a Rode NT but the Studio Electronics C1 is beginning to look like a better choice. Might even try my hand on an Oktava (the russian made ones, not the chinese rip-offs) or an AT 3035 or 4033; the AT 2020 seems interesting, as well. So many mic choices, so little budget.

Also trying to save some dinero for either a Fireface or Creamware Scope system as well as upgrading my Sonar to V5. The Emu has been behaving extremely well in my system but I'm in the process of building the Neo2 for a dual-pc setup next year so a new soundcard will be necessary. Ahhh, the pitfalls of having caught the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) bug!

Best,

%1$s a écrit Thanks, ag!

Yeah, I've been to the site myself. Was just curious if this particular mic passed thru your hands. Well, I guess since it's a Blue product, it shouldn't be bad at all given BLue's reputation for boutique mics. I'm seriously considering either the Blue Ball or 8 Ball myself so having another candidate for the mic cabinet would be a nice option. I've a friend who's using a Blueberry in his PT HD studio and he's quite satisfied with it.

Cheers!

My pleasure, Kit! I saw a soprano singer use one in a recent PBS special with singers performing what sounded to me like Riverdance meets Yanni...a performance of Celtic music. I have to admit her sound was quite phenomenal with the Blueberry. Although I admit, you have to take into consideration all of the other processing the sound engineer is using on that mic.

Have you considered any of the Groove Tubes mics? I have a GT57 and it has three polar patterns to select from. Sounds great on acoustic instruments and vocals!