KRK KNS 8400
KRK KNS 8400

Studio headphone from KRK belonging to the KNS series.

mathieujm mathieujm

«  Perfect for the price »

Publié le 11/24/13 à 09:40
After 2 months of use, recording a dozen concerts, a lot of mixes and masterings, I am fully satisfied.
Its only flaw (and quality ...): it is really closed and insulation. I might be interested in complement with a good open headphones.
The ratio Q / P is pretty amazing to me.
Sometimes full of good headphones at this time (eg the Focal pro.) Which may prove to be higher, but at prices that are as much higher

I use this headset for 2 months for miking, mixing, mastering classical music.
I can compare it to my previous closed headphones: Sony 7506, Beyer DT770 80o, ATH-M50.
This is for me the most comfortable 4 because of its large oval ear with memory foams very flexible form (round atria of 770 was too large and relied on the cheek bone, foams M50 were too hard ). I liked the comfort of the 7506 but the 8400 is much lighter. Beyer was heavier and I did not kept long (and the AT)
To fit on the head, the 8400 is lower (for me) to Sony and AT.
Like all closed headphones, he shakes his head a little, but if you take enough care to enlarge the bar (very large!) Parfais comfort is the fact that the pressure is evenly distributed because of foams.

It's a little plastic, but in fact it's tough (well I'm not sitting on me).
Atria pivot which allows the stored flat (very thin) in its pretty cover and the house very easily in a backpack.
The cable disconnects and locks on the left ear. You can insert a mini cable with volume control that works very well.
Question running, I'm still very torn on the subject: it is certain that I had the sense of an evolution of sound for the first few days, but I could not say whether it comes from running the headphone ... or my ears. Changing headphone challenges all automatic compensations that our brain puts in place to compensate for the shortcomings of a headphone. It takes some time to change. That is why I am wary of comparisons headphones ... This is another topic.

Regarding the sound, it is interesting to compare the impressions of my different headphones listening to classical music and in comparison to the standard that is the direct listening to recorded musicians.
First the defects of my old headphones:
- The 7506: this very aggressive in the upper midrange / treble, no lower midrange. At the time I attributed my trouble getting sound realistic to my violin pickups. That was the headphone that had incriminate.
- The DT770 (80o) where there was medium ... and serious ... and acute, but curiously instruments with a rich texture in the upper midrange and treble were very distorted. The grave was intrusive. This last point is much less sensitive to the 250o release.
The M50 has only accentuates defects DT770: Severe ubiquitous, low very flattering medium (eg cello), this very sharp ... but upper midrange absent. The harpsichord was unrecognizable. The vagueness of the headphone (also quite nice listening) in the upper medium was rendered unusable to make serious judgments.
My judgment on the DT770 and M50 is based on one year of intensive practice of each, and much more for Sony.
Now 8400.
The grip KRK headphones to replace some extent in monitor speakers did fly. I decided after listening to these tests
that we can discuss the validity, but showed that even when the headphone came closest to the original was the KRK, especially in the upper midrange.
I have not been disappointed. The main characteristic sound that caught my ear was that for the first time I did not have these acute exaggerated at the expense of upper midrange and distorted as all the instruments that I love. Harpsichord found a very realistic texture, I find the "normal" presence of all the instruments of the orchestra.
Serious side, there ... when and as it should. An acoustic bass sounds beautifully realistic.
All music styles seem very realistic. Jazz is a real pleasure.