2 New Universal Audio Plugins
Universal Audio has announced the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor and Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery plugins.
Both are designed for use with the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo Audio Interface.
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor
The compressor used on recordings by Muse, Gnarls Barkley, Coldplay, John Mayer, Regina Spektor, and more. The Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor is designed to controll music dynamics in two stages — first with an Optical section, then with a Discrete (VCA) section. Both sections can be bypassed, providing a variety of compression sounds (Optical, Discrete, and combined).
Like the hardware version, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor plug-in offers selection of three distinct output transformers (Nickel, Iron, and Steel) — taking the signal from "clean" to "colored" and "dirty" — as if selecting from the output stages of three distinct classic analog consoles.
- Emulation of the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.
- Created by Brainworx, developed for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform.
- Separate Optical and Discrete (VCA) dynamics sections for two-stage serial dynamics control.
- Transformer matrix switches between Nickel, Iron, and Steel output transformers — like selecting between 3 distinct vintage console outputs.
- 90Hz sidechain filtering for musical compression of low-frequency program material.
- VU meters provide Optical, Discrete, or Output gain views.
- Custom presets created by Shadow Hills founder and designer Peter Reardon.
Price: $299 US from UA's Online Store. Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor will be available as part of the upcoming UAD Software v6.3.2 release, scheduled for early November.
Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery
The K-Stereo Ambience Recovery plug-in extracts ambient cues from source recordings — allowing users to enhance the stereo depth and imaging of mixes without unnatural artifacts, according to Universal Audio. It is designed for 2-track mastering or post-production applications.
- Ambience recovery and stereo processing tool.
- Extracts ambient cues from the source material, adding depth and width to the stereo field.
- Designed for fixing busy or "narrow" mixes at the mastering stage.
- 3-band Ambience Filter EQ.
- Mid/Side gain controls available to adjust the center-to-side balance.
- Left/Right Gain controls for final stereo image balancing and leveling.
- Custom user presets created by Bob Katz.
Price: $199 US via UA's Online Store. Available as part of the upcoming UAD Software v6.3.2 release, scheduled for early November.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Arturia AudioFuse 8PRE audio interface review Just over two years ago, French manufacturer Arturia first stepped into the world of audio interfaces. More recently at NAMM 2019, the Grenoble-based company announced two new models, one of which the AudioFuse 8Pre. Has it been a successful addition to the line?
- Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core review About a year and a half ago, Antelope released the Discrete, a new range of Thunderbolt & USB interfaces including discrete preamps, their famous FPGA module as well as the stack of audio effects that would usually come with it. Now back in June 2019, Antelope releases a new version of its Discrete 4, this time providing dual DSP chips in addition to the FPGA. Marketing ploy or real step forward?
- The top commercial audio editing software for 2018 Four years after our first poll on the topic, few things have changed in the world of audio editors, at least according to our French readers.