ENGL E325 Thunder 50 Head
ENGL E325 Thunder 50 Head

Tube Guitar Amp Head from ENGL belonging to the Thunder series.

ptspress ptspress
Publié le 01/04/11 à 04:21
The description has already been done several times so I will not repeat - only one has yet mentioned that the amp has an effects loop in parallel and is a plus.

Configuration is very simple, too simple finally, because like all others, the unique setting of gain for the three channels is annoying. I had to tweak a good little while to find a setting that suits me.

The manual is very good - check it look at least once, then it is enough.

With a flat EQ the amp sounds very sharp in my ear, but the settings low, mid and treble are very effective and you get the sound you want quickly. The problem is finding the balance in the gain on the three channels

Although this amp is best known for metal, I used to play "power rock" style 70s and it works great!

The head is connected in a closed chamber equipped with 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30s

I use a TC Electronics G-Sharp in the parallel effects loop. There is a knob on the back which keeps a portion of the signal directly, without going through the rack, which preserves the sound of the amp.

I play on a guitar-like "Fat Start (HSS) and mainly on the Seymour Duncan humbucker bridge.

With the rule I use the gain to 7.

On the clean channel with volume and humbucker guitar background I obtain a crunch that is still well defined with this small metallic resonance that I like and that suits me perfectly as its base.

If I go single coil pickup and slightly lowering the volume knob on the guitar I can have crystalline sounds when I want, but with my current directory I do not often need.

I use the crunch channel and lead only to inflate the sound for solos or passages of single notes. The crunch channel, gain at 7 produces a lead sound perfect for rock / blues very fat and rich in harmonics. With the volume of the crunch channel to boost the bottom I just volume that I need to get ahead solo.

I use very rarely the lead channel because at this level gain channel too easily lead by Larsen.

You wonder why I do not lower the gain then? Because the grain crunch sound is better, more natural, on the clean channel and channel crunch in my ear.

I use this amp for three years. I play the guitar for 35 years and I had the opportunity to play on a lot of amps - Fender, Marshall, Boogie, Peavey, etc..

My previous amp was a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 that I loved, but the sound very clear and warm does not suit my current directory.

The best rock amp I knew previously was the Marshall JCM 800 - I just always found the Marshall sound good when a group had only one guitarist - once there were two sounds mingled in an ocean of media.

Boogie sound is too compressed for my taste.

The Engl came to meet me. I have a crunch sound very fine and expressive, crystal clear sound when I want - and a huge headroom for audio leads.

This is perhaps not my dream amp - but it cost a quarter of the price of my dream amp - so it's my reality today - and that's fine.
Very good amp