M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R

USB audio interface from M-Audio belonging to the Fast Track series.

skyrobber skyrobber

«  Good audio quality, but not without problems »

Publié le 03/12/11 à 08:29
I bought this sound card because I needed 8 inputs on one card (before I used several cards but the drivers were dropping out). Initially I bought it for recording voice in radio, now it serves me more than for recording acoustic instruments. So I use routinely preamps with XLR inputs on the card.

I use it on a computer that I built myself and is tailllé for sound (windows 7 32 bit Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz, 3GB (the maximum 32-bit), 1.2TB (2 discs samsung F2 ), and USB port for dedicated sound card (no hub, there is only this device on the USB port)).

The drivers are extremely stable. In a year and a half of use, they have never planted or dropped out. That impresses me.
I use it especially in Reaper, recording 8 tracks simultaneously, and out 8 tracks (basically all inputs and all outputs).
I turn to 8ms of latency between the input of the soundcard, treatment with equalizers, compressors and delay (see reverb), and the output of the soundcard. I work almost always live, and I use it like a digital console.

GETTING STARTED

Installation is fast and simple. The driver interface is perhaps obvious at first, but it is well thought out (to manage the routing of hardware inputs and outputs of software to hardware outputs). The default config is by far the most used. The possibilities are also very good.
I just found that m-audio has put too much time out drivers for Windows 7, especially since it is the same as those for Windows XP and Vista. They just blocked the execution of the install on their systems (I have been part of the team of beta testers of Windows 7).

It's been a year and a half that I use this sound card.
Before I was using the equipment a little more public.

What I like most:
The price, quality inputs and outputs, switchable phantom power 4 by 4.

What I find problematic:
That is key point that makes me post a message. Everything is beautiful in this sound card, except the resistance of preamps. I went to my second back guarantee. The preamp number 3 has been having a blast annormalement high after pulling the pad-20dB. This happens by whenever you pulls the pad-20dB, but then I just m'apperçevoir sound card that my store just lend me suffer the same problem but on input 4. The store where I bought my sound card has information to offer me the details to the problem, it would be a resistance that was undersized when designing the sound card, and the problem was recurring on a series of sound cards. He also told me they would replace the resistance, rescaled as before. The repair has taken place (and I have proof that I have recovered my sound card because there was always my converters jack headphone outputs on, I had forgotten to remove), and preamp functioning again. Until it releases about 1 year later.

With experience I will ever even when this choice because the audio quality is to go. I did not use monster sound card, so I can afford one month back in for repair. I also want to clarify that I had no problem with the after sales service.