M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R

USB audio interface from M-Audio belonging to the Fast Track series.

JxB JxB
Publié le 02/07/10 à 12:49
Technical data sheet

I tried to get an audio interface with enough inputs to be provided to record quietly quiet my metal band:
Minimum of 4 tracks to record my brother on drums, knowing that my brother would need more entries for more pickups (currently 2 mics for snare, which go back to 5 drum mics)
Able to use both my Roland, my Clavinova and have access to MIDI.
Need for phantom power for condenser microphones.

January 2011 Edit: Actually, I realize more and more that to record an acoustic drum, it becomes fair 8 microphones, now, that's all I need battery, but if my brother adds a tom, I'm dead.
So this sound card is really the place to start in recording drums, but if you want then go into high gear, it will buy something better.

It should be noted that connecting converters S / PDIF can be mounted to 10 entries.

Personally, when I change gear, I would climb a budget of 900 to 2000 euros to be on the rise in quality and have 16 simultaneous audio tracks in my DAW.

The drivers are highly stable, the M-Audio has never unhooked from all sequencers that I use:
Magix 15 and Live8.

For the number of tracks played at the same time, I think I have so far arrested at 35/40, with no latency in Live, with 3 or 4 AFTERNOON. I'm a fan of analog sound taken: P.

The drivers are rarely updated, but take the SHIFT of 2009 does not change so much from the CD version, crashes are rare on this interface, whatever the latest drivers.

I am under Live from 3 to 4% of CPU.

In short, not bad at all.

GETTING STARTED

Installation is quick to accept still press the Continue button when Windaube Xp wonder if you still have to install the driver because he thinks it could damage the system, and passes like velvet.

The manual is clear, and French for the version I bought. One can also easily find the PDF on the Internet.

I use it since September 2009, so I already had an opportunity to test the beast can.

Well, I'll start with less.
I did not know the M-Audio has a slight defect with Notebooks Asus when I use Wifi and the M-Audio at the same time, the M-Audio crackling issues. It took me put out of use to succeed in finding the cause of the problem. Fortunately, bought from Thomann, I've been back in the days after delivery (they are really super loud), so a wait of 2 weeks before reuse.
Same with my laptop when I use my M audio with my external hard drive, the M-Audio turns creating a frying. After being switched off, unplugged the HDD and turned back on the M-Audio, frying disappears, but hey, other USB devices to avoid: /

Otherwise the most:
People, this interface is not intended to registrations. With its 10 outlets Jack (of which 2 with volume buttons assigned), it is a bomb for groups who want to mount a local quiet practicing at a lower cost.
8 instruments can be connected above and a keyboard / drum machine MIDI inputs and outputs, 10 headphones, and walk!
Need more amps, an effect pedal for guitars and valid. is the ideal electronic drum electric guitars, bass and synth, and a dynamic voice, and that parity;)

Edict of January 2011: Well, it's quite possible, but you have to buy headphones preamps to increase the volume of the rear exit of the M-Audio, and enjoy it completely, there are 20 euros or Behringer tbone on the market, it is really worth.

Well, for the record, I confirmed the opinion below, it's also really great, the converters are not bad and the really great preamp, and 8-track, what comfort to register a battery Home Studio!

Edit January 2011:
So, I bring some information after use:
The preamps are very fragile, I gun 2 times the 8 preamps since I have (but with 3-year Thomann warranty it does). Always observe the cycles to follow when they turn on / off the sound system (in this case be my 300W sound system, be my amp monitoring, depending on use) should always turn on the sound card first, then the amp, and when you turn it off, we begin with the amps, then the sound card.
Otherwise, I managed to use the effects of my DAW Ableton Live 8, and for the price, quality A / DD / A is doing more than honorable, I am satisfied. With virtual synthesizer, the MIDI is a killer.

JXB