or
Create an account

or

Thread Need help w/ Drumkit From Hell/C&V Drums

• 18 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need help w/ Drumkit From Hell/C&V Drums
I'm running Logic Pro 7.2, and have both DfH and C&V libraries. I had tried to use these earlier last year, but they crashed my rig continually. I have the newer updates, but haven't installed for fear of crashes.

May seem dumb, but the manuals aren't very clear to me on how to get the stuff up & running.

Anyone out there working these programs sucessfully in Logic Pro? If so, pls advise asap. If you're in LA especially.

Thanks to All!
Show first post
ok cool thanks man!~ :lol:
Hey Guys - Great Posts Here

Thanks for the info - gonna see if I can get my pro tools Midi Session stuff happening after reading this.

I have all the drum stuff - drumagog - easy drummer, DKFH and BFD, but all of this stuff is still a little foggy.

When I import a midi track from my Yamaha DD55 - it puts all the midi info on 8 Midi tracks.

How do I assign the Kit to the 8 tracks using the DKFH plugin?

I am positive I am making this a lot harder than it needs to be?

I am a newbie to this whole drum thing - but Its easier to get my drums programmed than to wait for my drummer to stop by and do it!

Thanks in advance!

JT
i bought Cubase SE 3 and DFH2 just now... i hope they work out great i will let you know for sure LOL !!! :lol:

my plan is to compose some music in the like of meshuggah (that style) with my friend who has a POD XT he can input to my computer now that i have cubase and use the DFH2 to program the drums. we'll see what happens! i've read that DFH2 the drums sound tinny and not as good as the original DFH or DFHS. hopefully this is not true. wish me luck! lots to learn!
you knew i'd be back right? so my software got here and i've been reading manuals and i have figured out how to add a midi track and route it to DFH2 but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to insert midi "hits" (as i call them). mind you i do not have a midi controller (as i have stated before) and i cannot figure out how to do it in the FL Studio style where i click or insert the hits where i want them using only a mouse and keyboard... can that even be done?

btw just for your info the software i am using is cubase se 3 and DFH2.
i use DFH2 with cubase.

it uses up a HUGE load of memory, so if you don't have at least 2GB of FAST ram, consider upgrading.

basically you use it as a vst instrument, with your own triggers, or a midi drum file.

its really simple, create a new midi track, load a midi drum pattern, load DFH, tell the midi track to output directly to DFH, press play.

or you can use a midi controller, routed to your midi track so that it feeds directly to DFH, so you can play "live".
a good cubase midi drum tutorial:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct03/articles/cubasenotes.htm?print=yes&session=af5277deda69054c5f4730c5c2c1b077
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating A Drum Pattern

With a MIDI track ready to go in the Project window, let's first look at creating a drum pattern from scratch using the Drum Editor. Unlike Audio tracks, which allow you to place Audio Events directly on the Project window, MIDI tracks require MIDI Events (in this case, the actual drum beats) to be placed in a Part. MIDI Parts are normally created automatically when you record on a MIDI track, so to enter MIDI Events manually we need to create a Part to put them in. For this example, create an empty one-bar MIDI Part in the Project window by either selecting the Draw tool (or by using the Object Selection tool with the Alt/Option key held down) and dragging out a new Part from the start of bar one to the beginning of bar two.

When programming drum patterns, it's a good idea to have the Project playing (possibly soloing the drum track if you have other tracks playing in the Project window), so you can hear what you're doing. With the newly created MIDI Part selected, here's a neat trick: press Shift+G or choose Transport / Loop Selection, which automatically sets the Locators to the selected Part, activates Cycle Mode, resets the position of the Project Cursor to the Left Locator and starts the Project playing.

If you double-click the new MIDI Part for editing, Cubase will open the default editor, which is normally the Key Editor, chosen with the Default Edit Action option in the Event Display MIDI panel of the Preferences window. So to open the new MIDI Part in the Drum Editor instead, make sure the Part is selected and choose MIDI / Open MIDI Editor.
sounds like it will help, thanks again.

any more tutorials will be very helpful... especially if they directly involve DFH2. i googled and nothing comes up but i'll keep digging... 'til i feel something! (tool lol)

i feel like i should be paying you... lol.

edit: looked at it just quickly and it all makes since except and i can do exactly what i wanted ALMOST. my guess is i need to create a new Drum Map with DFH2 and use it with the drum editor which is just like FL Studio Step Sequencer! now to figure out how to create a drum map... unless of course i am WAY OFF and i probably am!

edit2: ok... i opened cubase, file > new project and selected my folder, added a midi track, added DFH2 as a VST, loaded "qucik load DFH2", routed the midi track to DFH2, put in a MIDI PART on the MIDI TRACK, right clicked that > MDID > Drum Editor, now all teh tracks in the drum editor are labled... but they are INCORRECT. it is using the DFH2 SOUNDS (AWESOME!!!) but the tracks are labled wrong... maybe for the LM-7 that came with Cubase? im relabling them but hopefully they will stay labled... maybe i an just save the project as sort of a TEMPLATE? and use it for all my future project?
dfh2 has its own drum maps. search for them in the install directories, then load them in cubase.

cubase uses a default General Midi Drum Map, and it can work with Dfh2 too, if you load a General Midi (GM) drumkit.

sounds like you've got yourself up and running... :)
yeah my edit2 worked... but i had to change the lable of the tracks. i will try searching for those tonight when i get home, the DFH2 drum maps. i remember trying to load one and going to the DFH2 directory and there was nothing there for me to load, no supported file types.

With my "edit2" i was able to make a drum track, just a simple one so yes, it looks as if i am up and running! just more practice and ill get better at it!

the drums do sound "tinny" or "small" and i am not sure how to play with the effects or velocity or anything like that. anything you know about that can help make them sound better? i know cubase has some things you can do as well as that kompact player that comes with DFH2 and pops up when you load it as a VST instrument in cubase. ill probably figure it out over a month or so.

thanks again! :)