or
Create an account

or

Thread Need help w/ Drumkit From Hell/C&V Drums

• 18 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need help w/ Drumkit From Hell/C&V Drums
I'm running Logic Pro 7.2, and have both DfH and C&V libraries. I had tried to use these earlier last year, but they crashed my rig continually. I have the newer updates, but haven't installed for fear of crashes.

May seem dumb, but the manuals aren't very clear to me on how to get the stuff up & running.

Anyone out there working these programs sucessfully in Logic Pro? If so, pls advise asap. If you're in LA especially.

Thanks to All!
hello!

my new issue is the delay of playing the hits at the right time. could this be a hardware issue? not enough ram? not enough processor? to further explain... i place a hit in the drum editor right where i need it to be and when the marker passes over it during playback it won't play it when it's supposed to be played, instead, it plays in a few milliseconds later... making it out of time. i KNOW it does it because i imported a meshuggah song into cubase to have some fun and make the drums match up and i couldn't because of this issue. any ideas?

Specs: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4Ghz, 1GB DDR2 PC800 Dual Channel Ram, the rest of this doesn't matter i think but i have an AGP NVidia GeForce 7800GS 256MB and a Western Digital 200GB HDD 7200RPM 8MB Cache running on IDE (wish i had SATA II but oh well)...

further thoughts: i think i will invest in dfh EZ Drummer from toontrack as well as the DFH EZX (expansion) because from what I've read and hear, the drums sound a whole lot better. just got to do some saving.

thanks in advance.
finally someone who is using cubse se and dfh2...!

i am thinking of buying cubase SE 3 (i found it for as low as 70$ on bizrate) and DFH2 which is 65$ and using it to compose my own drum tracks but i have a few questions which i cannot find answers to. i've played with FL Studio (demo) and i have read that it is limited to 64 steps in the step sequencer... is this true for cubase? is there a limit to the number of steps you can have in the step sequencer? is there even a step sequencer like in FL Studio (fruity loops)? if so can you set the tempo of the step sequencer to whatever you want? ie: 16th notes... etc. so that your composition (drum track) can have fast fills and not just fills that are in time to your tempo (for instance if you have a sequencer set to quarter notes then you cannot have a fill that is at 16th notes... hopefully you get me lol). if there is no step sequencer, is it fairly simple to create your own custom drum tracks?

ANY INFO IS MUCH APPRECIATED as i do not want to purchase something and have it turn out to be something i did not expect. i have tried searching all over to find this info and i cannot.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!
cubase has no 'step sequencer'. in fact, it doesn't need one.

it has a convenient 'snap' (quantize) function to correct eventual out-of-tempo hits that can be set to 1/4, 1/8,1/16,1/32,1/64 etc... and does not force you to have just fills in time with your tempo.

creating a drum track is quite easy.

creating a drum track for DFH2 is a bit harder. that is, if you want a natural sound. using a midi controller is preferred.
midi controller? im totally new to this! im very good with computers and ive been drumming for nearly 11 years just new to this lol.

the beginning of you post i like and understand...

what i don't get is how exactly DFH2 fits into this. isn't DFH2 a bunch of sound files (or "hits" if you will) that you can plug into your composition to make it sound as if there was a drummer playing along? example: "oh i'd like a snare hit here!" so you put one. yes? no? is it that basic?

you are a savior man don't disappear! LOL :)
let's start from scratch.

DFH2 is a drum sequencer. what it does is this: you feed it midi and he gives you a "real" sounding drumkit.

to do this you must use it as a VST Instrument (press f11 in cubase), then create a new midi track and point the track output directly to DFH2.

now you are ready to go, all you need is a midi drum pattern to place on the new midi track.

you can do this in 3 ways:

1) manually creating your pattern with your mouse. just create the pattern with "draw", then double click on it to edit it.

2) using an existing midi file. just import it in the track.

3) using an external midi controller. a midi controller is anything you can use to feed midi to DFH2. the most common midi controller is the piano keyboard, but you can also use drum triggers, synths, etc....

now, why is a midi controller preferred?

a good midi controller is 'velocity-sensitive' and replicates the dynamics of a kit, because not all hits are equal (just like a real drumkit).

what's more, DFH2 simulates overhead mics and ambience mics, plus mic "bleeding" (for example you can hear the background 'thump' of the kick in the snare track) giving at the overall sound a great sense of "real".

don't be scared if you don't understand everything. DFH2 is NOT exactly user-friendly, but you'll find out that its more simple than it looks.
great you are helping a lot! :) :) :)

one final question...

IF you have used Fruity Loops (I have) how would you compare composing a drum track in the FL Studio Step Sequencer to using DFH2 with Cubase SE3? In FL the step sequencer (if you havent used it) it basically this... you have separate tracks each assigned to a specific drum sound. When you want a sound to be "triggered" at a certain time you click on that section in the "grid" on that track. With a few simple click you can come up with a decent drum track. The problem is FL is limited to 64 steps in it's sequencer... so you have to compose in sections then glue the sections together to make an entire track. Similar with Cubase SE3 or not?

I will not bug you after this most likely... thanks SO MUCH for your help!!!!
similar, but without the 64 step limitation.

don't worry about the 'bugging'.
LOL bugging? everytime you leave me unclear!! anyway i think i will purchase it as soon as my check gets deposited. 100$ is not bad for all that it does and if it isn't enough, i can upgrade to a higher version... which i doubt i will ever need to do. thanks again for all your help! :)
"bugging" was referred to this:

%1$s a écrit I will not bug you after this most likely...

feel free to come back if you have any more questions. :)