or
Create an account

or

Thread emu 1212 s/pdif not working

• 44 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 emu 1212 s/pdif not working
Im trying to record some stuff, so i have a roland vs-840 with a mic atached and im using a radioshack PCM digital audio cable from the rolands digital coax out to the s/pdif in on the card. problem is patchmix is not getting a reading so no sound coming in. this used to work with a red and white mono cable then just suddenly stopped working so i figured it was the cable and replaced it, but still... Please any help would be appreciated
Show first post
thanks, naw still not working
Exactly what kind of cable are you using and don't get me wrong, but did you double check your spdif connections?
some of these, cept radio shack brand http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049655&cp=&origkw=pcm&kw=pcm&parentPage=search
ya ive had it plugged in different times and nothing
Make sure optical input and output is set to ADAT. Whenever you switch the optical ports to s/pdif, it disables the coax s/pdif.
they are and the s/pdif output format is on s/pdif
Wait a minute! I was checking the VS-840's specs and it said the 840 uses optical s/pdif, not coax! What coax connection are you using then? If you're using optical fiber to connect the VS to the Emu, then the optical ports have to be set to s/pdif and not ADAT.
no, the vs-840 has an optical and a digital, and im using digital to the emu's digital input
Then, the only thing I can think of is that you set the recording mode to 32 khz to save on disk space. Like I mentioned before, if it's set to 32 khz, the Emu will not lock to the digital signal unless it's 44.1 or 48 khz. If your project was recorded at 32 khz, there is no other way to change the sample rate once that has been set. You have no other option than to transfer audio via analog. Unfortunately, I cannot find any reference to the VS' screen so I can't begin to tell you where to look. Hopefully, in the Utility menu, there should be some form of info you can access in the project.
yeah, i checked that out its in the utility menu and can only be acessed with a disk in. and when i checked it it was on 44.1, plus im not recording on the disk and then playing it back to the computer im just basically using the rolad as an amplifier running the mic through there to strenghthen the mic volume
ok. that clears things a bit. it'd be great if you had a fiber optic cable so you can test the optical I/O. Somehow, I think something's not syncing somewhere. I take it that the VS main outs are mirrored by the s/pdif? The biggest quirk of the Emu's s/pdif implementation is that when you switch the optical ports to s/pdif, you lose the coax digital I/O, so for you to use the coax, the optical ports have to be set to ADAT.

I just remembered something. Do you have the sync card installed? I seem to remember my s/pdif not working properly unless the sync card was connected.