or
Create an account

or

Thread crashing daw, complants

• 8 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 7 followers
1 crashing daw, complants
Well first, if you want to use pro tools, going native is not the way, that's why they recommend using there drives, and second I read these post all the time, and users post there system stats, and i find that the computers they are using, are not powerful enough for music production, there are software requirements, and recommended requirements
I respectfully disagree with the "your system isn't powerful or suitable enough" argument, because there are DAWs that use the exact same hardware and don't have nearly the problems that Pro Tools has. I used to open a project in Pro Tools 10 and it would perform horribly, and then I'd open the exact same tracks with the same plugins in Cubase and it would work flawlessly. If it were really the hardware, then Cubase would also have trouble. But the coding between the two DAWs are a lot different, so it boils down to optimized code more than hardware itself.
That being said, I still use Pro Tools but I also use Cubase 7.5 and I still have issues with Cubase, only my issues aren't performance related.
I get where Mark was coming from when he said that Pro Tools says that you have missing files, even though the files should be there. This happens to me on occasion as well.

Yesterday, I opened a project in Cubase and there was no sound. I rebooted, and the sound came back. But then when I closed the project again and reopened it later, the sound was gone again. I opened a new project and the sound was there, then flipped back to the other project and there was no sound. I still have not sorted it out, and nothing got changed at all in the project. I didn't even save the project from the last time that it worked.
Then Battery 3 took one of my drum kits and changed the output of the kick from a mono output (being sent to Cubase) to a stereo output, and therefore it messed some things up with the routing. It's things like this that would be part of the "stability" argument that Mark was making in his newsletter article that I agree with; things that take time to sort out and time that's taken away from getting work done.
On the plus side, we've probably all gotten better at troubleshooting. ;)
Quote from yeahimsteve:
I get where Mark was coming from when he said that Pro Tools says that you have missing files, even though the files should be there.....It's things like this that would be part of the "stability" argument that Mark was making in his newsletter article that I agree with; things that take time to sort out and time that's taken away from getting work done.

Who's Mark? icon_facepalm.gif :bravo::bravo:
I have used Studio One 2 since it was released, I have never had a crash, never had missing files, never had any issues, all but for one. Loading a midi device that I previously mapped. BCF2000 worked flawlessly and all parameters mapped stayed mapped no matter how many times I turned off my device or closed Studio One. Until last week. The motorized faders would not respond to automated data. Turning the device off and restarting Studio One fixed the issue. Never occurred again.

So... As far as troublesome DAWS - some are just far to feature rich in my opinion. Features most of us may NEVER EVER use. The more there is, the more there is to go wrong.

AKG C214 microphone, Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, Behinger BCF2000 Control Surface, Mackie HR5 MKII Monitors, Cakewalk UA-EX24 A/I w/ 24" iMac, 6GB RAM w/ Studio One 2 & Reaper 4.

Quote:
As far as troublesome DAWS - some are just far to feature rich in my opinion. Features most of us may NEVER EVER use. The more there is, the more there is to go wrong.

Good point. One potential explanation about Studio One, assuming it's really more stable (which is hard to say for sure based on anecdotal evidence) is that it's relatively new, whereas many older DAWs have bloated code from many years of feature integration, making stability more difficult.
I don't want to suggest things that everyone knows already, BUT: as great as pro tools is, it seems, in my experience to be rather finicky on windows 32 or 64. I have PT 10 64 bit and I would never use it for tracking with my virtual instruments. I use Reaper for that since it seems more forgiving. I always try to remember to save frequently but with Pro Tools I have to save every time I change anything. Now, I just record on Reaper and export the files to PT for editing. I've worked with Cubase, which seems a bit cumbersome, and Ableton, which is fun, but in the end, I always come back to Reaper. Good luck to everyone. Larry
Quote from ludi5678:
Now, I just record on Reaper and export the files to PT for editing

I keep hearing more and more good things about Reaper, especially on AF. Really gotta give that guy a chance soon but so far, I'm happy with Studio One 2
I have heard lots of good stuff about Reaper, too.