Akai Professional DPS16
Akai Professional DPS16
MGR/John M MGR/John M

« AKAI DSP16 »

Published on 02/04/02 at 15:00
The DSP16 features a recording section which is capable of 10 track simultaneous recording and 16 track simultaneous playback, a mixer section of 26 channels, and an internal effect section that enables you to use four effect channels simultaneously. The DSP supports various recording formats: the standard non-compressed 16-bit/44.1 kHz; 16-bit/48 kHz; and non-compressed 24-bit/96 kHz. I initially saw the DSP16 in a magazine ad and in a local music store. It has just about everything you would want or need in a digital recorder. However, I didn't want to pay the $1500 price tag at the time. I recently found one in a pawn shop in mint condition and purchased it for $900.

The DSP16 has a beautiful layout of all the controls. It has excellent sound quality, including effects, and is very easy to use. What is especially cool are the Q-Link knobs which are next to the large LCD display. These allow you to directly control mix and effect parameters shown in the display window without interrupting your work flow.

There is very little I don't like about this unit. I there was one thing I would change, it would be to make the size a little smaller. It measures approximately 18 inches wide. I wish it could have been no wider than about 12 inches. That would make it easier to place on my desktop.

The construction consists of a high-impact plastic and is very durable and well made.

The looks, feel, and sound quality of the AKAI DSP is top-notch. Just like stereo components, I prefer to have a separate CD burner rather than an all-in-one digital studio. Then, if something breaks down and needs repairing, you are not without both units at the same time. Now that I own and have had time to use the DSP16, I would certainly buy another one because of its high quality construction and pristine sound.