Hofner Guitars Ignition Bass
Hofner Guitars Ignition Bass
MaxA. MaxA.

« Excellent value for money »

Publié le 11/03/10 à 15:01
No need to add anything here.
But its weight is...strange! I even thought it had to do with the manufacturing quality, because I didn't know this type of bass. And then you get used to it and really appreciate it.
The finish isn't that good....some small details don't go unnoticed. But, for the price, it's overall aspect is quite all right and easily deceives the enemy.

USE

The neck is amazing, especially compared to my Fender Precision and my Squier Fender JazzBass.
After some time to get used to it, it becomes very easy, even too easy! Going back to my Precision was hard, the space between notes are different, since the neck is so slim.
Although it doesn't slide as smoothly as my Precision.
The entire neck is easily accessible, good design and weight... like a toy!

SOUND

It sounds just like I had read it did: Warm, round and yet very different to my Fender with a Fender rumble 150.
The original strings don't do it justice, I just ordered a flatwound Höfner set.
It's very, very close to the Beatles sound. The shape of the body obviously affects the sound and I often have the impression of playing a guitar. Easy and effective controls.
I love and often play pure sounds, without any effects and try to get the best out of the bass with my Fender amp. In this sense, it's a perfect complement to my PB and JB, very nice for pop, rock, blues, and jazz.
I wouldn't use it for more vicious rock, metal, punk, not even for funk. Slap is definitely not its thing (nor mine!).

I've had it for a couple of days and I got used to it very quickly, since it's very easy, even unplugged.
I bought at Thomann for €289. It's an excellent value for money and the ideal complement to the classic JazzBass, Precision and other such sounds (I also have a Cort Action).
It's very beautiful and you can easily forget its manufacturing defects and learn to enjoy playing with it and its McCartney personality.
For the money, it's a must have for Beatles fans, beginners, guitar players who play low tones, collectors, and also for bassists like me looking for new sounds and new ways to play. Besides, it doesn't take up too much space!
I'll try the German model when I have the chance...