1/408
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

Thread No playback/monitoring at 88.2 or 96kHz

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 No playback/monitoring at 88.2 or 96kHz
Hi guys (and girls)

Hopefully someone will be able to help with a very strange problem I am experiencing.:oo:

Details:
Windows 7 (64bit)
Asrock Fatal1ty Mobo (Z77 LGA1155) (recently replaced as my old mobo died, everything working prior to replacement)
Onboard Firewire (have also tried a PCI-E card)
Intel i7 2600

Cubase 5 (32bit)

Liquid Saffire 56
MixControl 3.7

Basically I cannot monitor the input through my DAW or playback any audio when I change to anything
above 48kHz. I can record the audio and physically see the wave file that has been recorded, but when
I play it back, although the meters in my DAW are moving up and down, it does not "reach" MixControl (DAW meter in
MixControl gets no signal) I can only "hear" the input signal when I set my monitoring to "Mix" or direct input of
the signal.

To simplify the problem, when I "right click" on the speaker icon in the taskbar,
select "playback devices"----------> then select the "Saffire Speaker" Icon and
select properties ---------> Advanced Tab and change the playback to "24bit 96000Hz"
then click on "test" there is no sound being played back. As soon as I revert back to "24bit 48000Hz" it plays back the "test" signal.

I have to mention that everything worked perfectly until I had to change the motherboard as my old one stopped working.
I have also used the tool from Focusrite to check compatibility of my on board Firewire port and the PCI-E adaptor and both result in "Compatible, no known issues"

I have connected the LS56 to an old laptop via PCMCIA firewire adapter and it works
perfectly fine on the old piece of junk laptop. :((( GO FIGURE! :(((

Thanks!
Hello,

Sorry to hear of the issues, but happy to help!

It will be ideal to know what chipset is being used for your onboard firewire card as we have seen some issues with certain chipsets.

I recommend first to try all Firewire Driver Latency settings (Short - Very Long) in MixControl's Settings menu as some machines respond better to certain settings.

If you should find that this does not help, lets follow this article to ensure you are using the Windows Standard Firewire Driver and test again: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206673829-Are-Focusrite-s-FireWire-Products-Compatible-With-Windows-7-

If you are still having issues, it may be best to utilize a card that has the TI XIO2213B chipset. An example of a card that uses this chipset as well as an explanation on chipset compatibility can be found here:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546925-How-can-I-tell-if-my-Firewire-chipset-is-compatible-with-my-interface-

I hope this helps, but if you are still having issues please open a support ticket with us here:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best Regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Hi David

Thanks for your reply!

After countless of trial and error fixes (been on live chat with focusrite as well) I pulled out an old firewire card, one of those which Focusrite does not recommend. Has 4 x firewire busses and 3 x usb busses and guess what....... It worked 100% (laughs) go figure!

The reason I didn't bother trying this card after trying the one that only has 2 x firewire busses, is that they both have VIA chipsets and they both worked on my previous setup (old mobo) so I thought there is no point, but it worked (laughs) If I just tried them all from the start I wouldn't have had to reload Windows and all my plugins and spend countless hours researching the issue!

Anyway the guys on the live chat was so helpful and they even gave me a tool to scan the firewire busses and both cards scanned with no issues (just goes to show)

All is well now and working perfectly and I highly appreciate you taking the time to reply.

All the best
Justin
Glad that you're up and working Justin. As you've seen, Firewire card compatibility and how they interact with different motherboards can be a bit of a minefield.
Glad that you had a card stashed away that is working for you though.

If you need anything else, let us know.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support