PreSonus FireStudio Project
PreSonus FireStudio Project
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 11/02/08 à 06:36
(Originally written by studio2records/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

8 preamps with combo XLR/phone connectors.
1 or 2 HiZ inputs for guitar or bass.
8 + 2 + 2 separate analog outputs.
2 inserts (channels 1 and 2).
2 SPDIF inputs/outputs.
Comprehensive Midi implementation.

I chose this sound card for its preamps so that I can record and mix rehearsals with a decent quality.
I have two systems:
- Macbook laptop
- PC with old CPU (XP 3000+), Win XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM.

Installation with Mac: 30 seconds... It works very good with the included version of Cubase 4 LE.
While on the PC...
I searched on the manufacturer's homepage and on the web and I finally found the problem:
Presonus FW sound cards are not compatible with all PCI FireWire cards. So I went back to the store and bought a new PCI FW 400 with VIA chipset (the other one didn't have a VIA chipset).
Then the installation worked in 2 minutes (install the drivers first, reboot then plug the external module).
Therefore:
I give it 10/10 with Mac.
I give it 5/10 with PC because of the compatibility problems not mentioned in the 5-page user's manual.

GETTING STARTED

Until now no drivers stability problem, no noise nor drop outs...
7 ms latency with my system; I can record 8 simultaneous tracks without a problem.
I use it with:
Cubase 4 LE on Mac
Nuendo 2 on PC

Pros:
- Front panel VU-meters (but they aren't very accurate)
- Control panel software (allows to make independent monitor mixes for the musicians)
- Preamps sound.

A great sound card if you already know what a pain it is to install it on a PC.
The preamps and converters sound great, not even comparable to the gear I've owned previously (Motu 2408, Digi 001, M-audio 1804FW, Alesis i/o, etc.).
My friends are impressed with the sound I get without having to spend an eternity placing the mics...
I give it 10/10.
I'll repeat it again even at the risk of sounding boring: this is the first sound card that has ever satisfied me in terms of sound!!
Someday I will buy a second one to have a 16-track system.