Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite 18i20 and some other hardware, want to record 24 channel

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Focusrite 18i20 and some other hardware, want to record 24 channel
Hi Guys,

I would like to introduce myself. 34 years, started drumming shortly ago. And started a band with other gentlemen, just for fun and drink some beer :bravo:. Minimal experience with recording. I have a few questions and really hope that some of the technique guys can give some tips and tricks.

We bought a older Yamaha 01v96, focusrite 18i20, and 2 adat controller ADA8000.
All mics, instruments we have around 24 inputs. We know we can record with the focusrite 16 line inputs. But what can you suggest to get more channels recorded.

We now plugged in 8 instruments into focusrite, true adat-in extra 8 inputs.
Using Cubase 16ch recording.

To edit the sound we did..
The 8 outputs of focusrite one-by-one with a jack to xlr cable to the inputs of the Yamaha and, also 8 xlr outputs to Yamaha. So a lot of extra cables, this must be simpeler ??? :((( But i don't know how. The other channels direct to the mixer and will not be recorded.

How can I record all my channels ? Or what useful tips do you have for me. :???::???:
Well you can always down mix before recording. Say you have your mixing console and use x inputs and route them to a stereo subgroup and record this.

You can do this with :

Drums
Percussion
Keys
Etc.

In other words : you need less rocording tracks and feed everything which needs a lot of control directly into your Daw.

-Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Hi Manzara,

I'm Alex from Focusrite Tech Support and I'd like to try and help you with your issue.

The ADA8000 does not enable you to route the inputs directly to the outputs so the only way you can get these inputs is the way you have done which is connecting one via ADAT to the 18i20 to give you 16 analogue inputs in total. In order to get the full 16 channels going to the desk you'll need to have an ADAT cable connected from the Scarlett 18i20's ADAT Output to the ADA8000 and then use XLR leads (or a snake) to the mixing desk.

In summary, you have set this up all correctly and the gear is the limitation here with 16 analogue inputs & outputs being your maximum. If you wanted to achieve the full 24 channels then you would need an interface that has 2 ADAT inputs and 2 ADAT outputs such as the Liquid Saffire 56 or the Clarett 8PreX.

https://global.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/liquid-saffire-56

https://uk.focusrite.com/thunderbolt-audio-interfaces/clarett-8prex

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Tech Support
Hi Alex,

Thank you for this info.
The cheapest option will be to buy the liquid. I read the information about it but, i couldn't see 2 adat inputs outputs.
If I buy the liquid, can i use them both active on one system ?

I know I can reopen Cubase in two seperate systems but using it also with two different soundscart not sure.
Hi Manzara,

No problem. If you have a look at this image you will see that there are 2 ADAT input ports and 2 ADAT output ports.

https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/cta_scale_640/public/rear.png

Yes you can use both of the ADAT inputs and the ADAT outputs on the same system. You don't need to use 2 seperate systems and just for clarification the Liquid Saffire 56 is to replace the Scarlett 18i20 in your set up rather than to be connected together. This will then allow you to have both 24 analogue inputs and 24 analogue outputs.

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Tech Support